Coronado Healthcare Center is a large nursing home located in Phoenix, Arizona. We gave this facility a B overall, which is a solid score. We were also impressed that Phoenix received a B+ city grade, making this a great place to find a nursing home. Based on our ratings, you could do much worse than this facility. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home did not have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Coronado Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
11411 North 19th Ave,
Phoenix AZ 85029
86.02% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a strong overall score as described above, but we especially wanted to emphasize its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave them an A in this area. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor dings are not something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was awarded favorable long-term care scores this year. Indeed, we gave it one of our higher grades in that category, with a grade of B+. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Coronado Healthcare Center?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of B- in this category is by no means a bad score. There are quite a few factors within this category. Most of these subcategories reflect nurse staffing. This place provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Our last category is short-term care, where we gave this nursing home a B- in this area. In our short-term care score, we endeavor to forge a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at the facility's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Coronado Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Coronado Healthcare Center, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Coronado Healthcare Center, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Coronado Healthcare Center, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic may be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Coronado Healthcare Center, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Coronado Healthcare Center, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Coronado Healthcare Center, 3.1% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients showing symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Coronado Healthcare Center, 80.03% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Coronado Healthcare Center, 12.44% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Coronado Healthcare Center, 20.97% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Coronado Healthcare Center, 20.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Coronado Healthcare Center, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Coronado Healthcare Center, 73.85% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Phoenix, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Phoenix, Arizona has 23 other nursing homes
- John C. Lincoln North Mountain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.28 miles away250 East Dunlap Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85020Voluntary non-profit - Private(602) 331-5862
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.8 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- Honorhealth Deer Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.39 miles away19829 North 27th Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85027Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 879-6100
- Abrazo Scottsdale CampusAcute Care Hospitals 6.8 miles away3929 East Bell Road Phoenix Arizona 85032Proprietary(602) 923-5000
- Abrazo Arrowhead CampusAcute Care Hospitals 7.52 miles away18701 North 67th Avenue Glendale Arizona 85308Proprietary(623) 561-1000
- St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.66 miles away350 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85013Voluntary non-profit - Church(602) 406-5001
- Banner - University Medical Center PhoenixAcute Care Hospitals 8.92 miles away1111 East Mcdowell Road Phoenix Arizona 85006Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 239-2000
- North Phoenix Dialysis (Fmc)1.53 miles away1957 W Dunlap Ave Ste 6c Phoenix Arizona 85021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (602) 943-1763
- Fmc-Glendale Town Center3.19 miles away4407 West Peoria Ave Glendale Arizona 85302Dialysis Stations: 25 (623) 934-9091
- Brookwood Dialysis Clinic (Dva)3.38 miles away8910 N 43rd Ave Ste 107 Glendale Arizona 85302CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (623) 937-2735
- Fmc North Mountain3.46 miles away16605 North 28th Avenue Suite 100 Phoenix Arizona 85053Dialysis Stations: 25 (602) 863-7954
- Thunderbird Dialysis (Fmc)4.99 miles away5750 W Thunderbird Rd Bldg G #750 Glendale Arizona 85306CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (602) 439-9502
- Arrowhead Dialysis (Fmc)5.28 miles away16844 N 59th Ave Glendale Arizona 85306Dialysis Stations: 13 (602) 439-8200
- Deer Valley Dialysis (Fmc)5.28 miles away21241 N 23rd Ave Ste 11 Phoenix Arizona 85027Dialysis Stations: 19 (623) 869-6089
- Glendale Family Health Center - Dialysis5.46 miles away5141 W Lamar Rd Glendale Arizona 85301Dialysis Stations: 8 (623) 344-6781