Coronado at Stone Oak is an average-sized nursing home in San Antonio, Texas. With an overall grade of D, this is a subpar nursing home. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 63 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection score. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category grades
Coronado at Stone Oak
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively solid inspections in recent years. We gave it a B in this category, which is much better than its overall score. Inspection ratings account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid places with a bunch of severe deficiencies flagged. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a favorable score in short-term care. This facility earned a grade of B in this area, which turns out to be one of our better grades. Our short-term care ratings are probably more critical for patients in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not look like this facility submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last metric we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Coronado at Stone Oak?
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is not a bad score. In calculating a facility's nursing rating, we assess the number of hours nurses spend with patients as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a low total compared to most nursing homes. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it scored well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is long-term care, which ended up being this facility's worst category. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in this area. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. Once we finished looking at the amount of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinates 99.44134 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Coronado at Stone Oak Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 4.66% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 94.73% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Coronado at Stone Oak, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 62 other nursing homes
- South Texas Spine and Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.99 miles away18600 North Hardy Oak Blvd San Antonio Texas 78258Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 404-0800
- Methodist Stone Oak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.02 miles away1139 E Sonterra Blvd, Ste 535 San Antonio Texas 78258Proprietary(210) 638-2100
- Baptist Emergency HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away16088 San Pedro San Antonio Texas 78232Proprietary(210) 402-4092
- Legent Orthopedic + SpineAcute Care Hospitals 6.63 miles away5330 North Loop 1604 West San Antonio Texas 78249Proprietary(717) 620-2424
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 9.45 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 9.76 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 10.15 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.19 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- Stone Oak Dialysis1.61 miles away731 Carnoustie Drive #101 San Antonio Texas 78258CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 403-2162
- North Central Kidney Disease Center1.79 miles away116 Gallery Circle #102 San Antonio Texas 78258Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 499-4003
- Fmc San Antonio, LLC6.72 miles away5418 N Loop 1604 W Ste 120 San Antonio Texas 78249Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 561-7879
- Innovative Dialysis Solutions at Home, Pllc7.31 miles away2795 Bulverde Rd Suite B Bulverde Texas 78163Dialysis Stations: 2 (830) 428-0524
- Broadway Kidney Disease Center8.38 miles away8840 Tradeway San Antonio Texas 78217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 805-9880
- Sakdc Davita Dialysis Partners Lp8.46 miles away15619 Nacogdoches Rd San Antonio Texas 78247Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 653-9579
- Lockehill Kidney Disease Clinic8.86 miles away10134 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 641-6000
- Kidney Treatment Center Northwest Pa9.04 miles away3939 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 692-3075