Cornerstone Village is an average-sized nursing home in Johnson City, Tennessee. Our rating scheme was not favorable to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall score of F. Johnson City received a more impressive city grade of B, so there are far better options in the city worth looking at. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Cornerstone Village has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Johnson City senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't rate too badly in the category of short-term care. Indeed, we awarded it a C for that area, which is among its more favorable grades. In our short-term care category, we endeavor to craft a sound gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze the facility's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the average facility. The hope is that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Cornerstone Village?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't fare terribly in the category of long-term care. In fact, we awarded it a C for that area, which happens to be another one of its higher scores. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.62264 percent of its residents, which is higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The final category we graded is nursing, which turned out to be this nursing home's weakest area. We awarded this nursing home a D in this category. We looked at the qualifications of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time those nurses worked with patients, in calculating our grade in this category. This nursing home offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cornerstone Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cornerstone Village, 8.88% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who have pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cornerstone Village, 3.29% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cornerstone Village, 3.08% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who have had UTI's. UTI's could be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cornerstone Village, 15.67% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cornerstone Village, 29.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cornerstone Village, 9.14% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cornerstone Village, 88.31% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cornerstone Village, 17.11% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cornerstone Village, 20.35% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels.
In Cornerstone Village, 1.4 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cornerstone Village, 20.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cornerstone Village, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cornerstone Village, 74.44% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Johnson City, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Johnson City, Tennessee has 3 other nursing homes
- Franklin Woods Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.69 miles away300 Med Tech Parkway Johnson City Tennessee 37604Voluntary non-profit - Private(423) 302-1120
- Johnson City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away400 N State of Franklin Rd Johnson City Tennessee 37604Voluntary non-profit - Private(423) 431-6111
- Sycamore Shoals HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away1501 West Elk Avenue Elizabethton Tennessee 37643Voluntary non-profit - Private(423) 542-1300
- Unicoi County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.82 miles away2030 Temple Hill Road Erwin Tennessee 37650Voluntary non-profit - Private(423) 743-3141
- Indian Path Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.54 miles away2000 Brookside Dr Kingsport Tennessee 37660Voluntary non-profit - Private(423) 431-1941
- Holston Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.72 miles away130 West Ravine Road Kingsport Tennessee 37662Voluntary non-profit - Private(423) 224-4000
- Tn Smokie Mountain Dialysis1.27 miles away2320 Knob Creek Road Suite 408 Johnson City Tennessee 37604Dialysis Stations: 2 (423) 232-1969
- Fmc Johnson City1.52 miles away100 Technology Lane Johnson City Tennessee 37604Dialysis Stations: 17 (423) 929-7181
- Davita Tennessee Valley Dial Cntr2.76 miles away107 Woodlawn Dr Suite 100 Johnson City Tennessee 37604CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (423) 926-2976
- Fmc Elizabethton6.91 miles away1210 Militia Court Elizabethton Tennessee 37643Dialysis Stations: 13 (423) 542-8208
- Fmc Kingsport16.47 miles away2002 Brookside Drive Suite 101 Kingsport Tennessee 37660CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (423) 245-6464
- Fmc Bristol19.92 miles away2530 W. State St Bristol Tennessee 37620Dialysis Stations: 16 (423) 764-4044
- Fmc West Kingsport19.99 miles away3600 Netherland Inn Road Kingsport Tennessee 37660CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (423) 230-0461