Cornerstone Village is an average-sized nursing home in Johnson City, Tennessee. Sporting an overall grade of B-, this looks like a solid nursing home. The nursing homes in Johnson City received quality scores across the board with a city grade of a B. One of the best aspects of this facility's profile is its remarkable inspection rating, which is addressed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our best scores. Inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more impressive category grades came in the category of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia can be a life threatening condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home does not take any chances. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Cornerstone Village?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we graded was short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a decent grade of B-. In computing our short-term care grades, we assess a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This grade is generally a reliable assessment of the facility's rehabilitation services. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that just 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. This figure was below average.
This facility's least impressive category is nursing, which is the last category we assessed. Sadly, it received an F for this category. Despite a few decent grades in other categories, this score is still disappointing so we felt obligated to make sure you are aware. We looked at the levels of nurses working for the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses spent with residents, in determining our rating in this area. This nursing home averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cornerstone Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cornerstone Village, 9.06% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cornerstone Village, 3.4% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cornerstone Village, 3.28% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. However, this metric may be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cornerstone Village, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cornerstone Village, 29.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients which were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cornerstone Village, 8.67% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cornerstone Village, 89.63% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cornerstone Village, 16.71% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cornerstone Village, 26.22% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Cornerstone Village, 1.21 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cornerstone Village, 26.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cornerstone Village, 11.37 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cornerstone Village, 72.9% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Johnson City, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Johnson City, Tennessee has 6 other nursing homes
- Franklin Woods Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.69 miles away300 Med Tech Parkway Johnson City Tennessee 37604Voluntary non-profit - Private(423) 302-1120
- Johnson City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away400 N State of Franklin Rd Johnson City Tennessee 37604Voluntary non-profit - Private(423) 431-6111
- Sycamore Shoals HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away1501 West Elk Avenue Elizabethton Tennessee 37643Voluntary non-profit - Private(423) 542-1300
- Unicoi County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.82 miles away2030 Temple Hill Road Erwin Tennessee 37650Voluntary non-profit - Private(423) 743-3141
- Indian Path Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.54 miles away2000 Brookside Dr Kingsport Tennessee 37660Voluntary non-profit - Private(423) 431-1941
- Holston Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.72 miles away130 West Ravine Road Kingsport Tennessee 37662Voluntary non-profit - Private(423) 224-4000
- Tn Smokie Mountain Dialysis1.27 miles away2320 Knob Creek Road Suite 408 Johnson City Tennessee 37604Dialysis Stations: 2 (423) 232-1969
- Fmc Johnson City1.52 miles away100 Technology Lane Johnson City Tennessee 37604Dialysis Stations: 17 (423) 929-7181
- Davita Tennessee Valley Dial Cntr2.76 miles away107 Woodlawn Dr Suite 100 Johnson City Tennessee 37604CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (423) 926-2976
- Fmc Elizabethton6.91 miles away1210 Militia Court Elizabethton Tennessee 37643Dialysis Stations: 13 (423) 542-8208
- Fmc Kingsport16.47 miles away2002 Brookside Drive Suite 101 Kingsport Tennessee 37660CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (423) 245-6464
- Fmc Bristol19.92 miles away2530 W. State St Bristol Tennessee 37620Dialysis Stations: 16 (423) 764-4044
- Fmc West Kingsport19.99 miles away3600 Netherland Inn Road Kingsport Tennessee 37660CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (423) 230-0461