Avalon Care Center-Portland is a small nursing home located in Portland, Oregon. We awarded this nursing home a first-rate overall score of A-. This is one of the better facilities in Portland. This is an impressive achievement given that the city has some quality facilities. We simply can not say enough great things about this nursing home. Lastly, this nursing home's ownership changed in the last year, so we will need to monitor it to confirm it maintains its high level of care.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Avalon Care Center-Portland
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Avalon Care Center-Portland has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get pricing and details on Portland senior living options.Get Pricing
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Oregon Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Oregon Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Oregon Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this facility excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of A. When calculating our nursing ratings, we look at both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Care Center-Portland?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our next category, this facility also received a grade of B for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this category. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 97.33333 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a dangerous ailment for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility does not leave this to chance. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we rated was short-term care. We gave this nursing home one of our better scores in that category, with a grade of B. While this isn't as high as some of this facility's other grades, it is still a positive grade. In our short-term care score, we attempt to create a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze a nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Care Center-Portland Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Care Center-Portland, 0.74% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Care Center-Portland, 0.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often the result of lower quality nursing care. More supervision limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Care Center-Portland, 1.33% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Care Center-Portland, 7.94% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Care Center-Portland, 5.37% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Care Center-Portland, 14.49% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Care Center-Portland, 98.67% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Care Center-Portland, 6.5% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Care Center-Portland, 4.02% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Care Center-Portland, 4.02% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Scores for Portland, OR
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Portland, Oregon has 13 other nursing homes
- Adventist Health PortlandAcute Care Hospitals 1.72 miles away10123 Se Market Street Portland Oregon 97216Voluntary non-profit - Church(503) 257-2500
- Kaiser Sunnyside Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away10180 Se Sunnyside Road Clackamas Oregon 97015Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 652-2880
- Providence Portland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away4805 Ne Glisan Street Portland Oregon 97213Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 215-1111
- Legacy Mount Hood Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away24800 Se Stark Street Gresham Oregon 97030Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 674-1122
- Legacy Emanuel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away2801 N Gantenbein Avenue Portland Oregon 97227Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-2200
- Ohsu Hospital and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 7.43 miles away3181 Sw Sam Jackson Park Road Portland Oregon 97239Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 494-6245
- Legacy Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away1015 Nw 22nd Avenue, w121 Portland Oregon 97210Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-7711
- Peacehealth Southwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away400 Ne Mother Joseph Place Vancouver Washington 98668Voluntary non-profit - Private(360) 256-2000
- Portland Dialysis Center2.01 miles away10595 Se Stark St Portland Oregon 97216Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 252-0019
- Portland Home Dialysis Clinic2.74 miles away10802 Se Washington Street Portland Oregon 97216Dialysis Stations: 2 (503) 254-4426
- Portland Gateway Dialysis2.74 miles away9932 Ne Halsey St Portland Oregon 97220CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (503) 253-8170
- Foster Powell Dialysis2.9 miles away6828 Se Foster Rd Portland Oregon 97206Dialysis Stations: 17 (503) 777-5780
- Davita Gresham Station Dialysis4.58 miles away878 Nw Burnside Rd Gresham Oregon 97030Dialysis Stations: 17 (503) 465-1068
- Fmc Maywood Park5.1 miles away11909 Ne Glenn Widing Dr Portland Oregon 97220Dialysis Stations: 21 (503) 255-3464
- Fmc Clackamas Kidney Center5.2 miles away13560 Se 97th Ave Clackamas Oregon 97015CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (503) 659-8200
- Oregon Kidney Center5.27 miles away3524 Ne Sandy Blvd Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (503) 236-7097