Copper Ridge is a small nursing home located in Sykesville, Maryland. This nursing home received an overall grade of D, which is a subpar grade. This place has very little working in its favor. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Sykesville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade wasn't a highlight, it received a decent score in the area of nursing. We awarded it a B- for that category. Our nursing grade includes many datapoints, but the most important one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, nursing ratings also factor in quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often a good indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
We were also pleasantly surprised to award this facility a relatively favorable health inspection grade as well. We awarded it a B- in this category, which was much better than its overall grade. We would argue that one of the most critical factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially focus on the severity of the deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to create an imminent threat to resident health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Copper Ridge?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility only earned a grade of D for its short-term care score, which is not a very good score. In the area of short-term care, we strive to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Based on its grade in this area, we were not stunned to learn that this place is well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. Honestly, this was about what we expected to find. The final measure we considered in this category is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.3 percent of its patients returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is long-term care, in which this nursing home received a very poor score in this area as well. It received an abysmal F in this area, which is definitely somewhat alarming. Long-term care ratings in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. Unfortunately, this facility vaccinated a relatively low 70.83333 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Copper Ridge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Copper Ridge, 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Copper Ridge, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which have experienced a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Copper Ridge, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing care reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Copper Ridge, 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used to treat several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Copper Ridge, 13.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Copper Ridge, 11.04% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Copper Ridge, 90.84% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Copper Ridge, 20.64% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Copper Ridge, 24.5% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Copper Ridge, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Copper Ridge, 24.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Copper Ridge, 9.63 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Copper Ridge, 73.32% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.32 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.23 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Carroll Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.44 miles away200 Memorial Avenue Westminster Maryland 21157Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 848-3000
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.22 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 16.71 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.66 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.37 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.53 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Davita - Owings Mills8.82 miles away11221 Dolfield Blvd Owings Mills Maryland 21117Dialysis Stations: 25 (410) 363-2019
- Fresenius Medical Care Randallstown LLC9.39 miles away9109 Liberty Rd Randallstown Maryland 21133Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 655-1076
- Baltimore County Dialysis Facility9.55 miles away3689 a Offutt Road Randallstown Maryland 21133CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (410) 922-2475
- Davita Ridge Road Dialysis9.76 miles away530 E Ridgeville Blvd Mount Airy Maryland 21771Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 829-5162
- Davita-Ellicott Kidney Center LLC10.18 miles away3000 N Ridge Rd Ellicott City Maryland 21043Dialysis Stations: 7 (410) 465-0273
- Ellicott City Dialysis Center LLC10.21 miles away3419 Plum Tree Drive Suites 103-106 Ellicott City Maryland 21042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 750-8426
- Davita - Windsor Dialysis11.36 miles away2707 Rolling Rd Stes 104-105 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 944-2649
- Kidney Home Center12 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618