The Convalarium is an average-sized nursing home located in Dublin, Ohio. This facility received an extremely poor overall rating based on the data we looked at. This facility is really as bad as it gets. We were surprisingly able to give this facility some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can read more about below.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
6430 Post Rd,
Dublin OH 43016
51.88% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this nursing home a terrible overall score, we gave it a B for our inspections rating. This is the result of the nursing home receiving a decent inspection report this year. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively minor. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's second highest score is short-term care. However, with a grade of D in this category, it still fared somewhat poorly. In the area of short-term care, we try to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Considering its score in this category, we weren't surprised to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The final statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor statistics doomed this nursing home's short-term care score.
Does this page answer your questions about The Convalarium?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing rating weighs quite a few factors, but the primary one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care. This nursing home was given a poor grade of F in that category. Facilities that don't fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine healthcare services we looked at. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. We were a bit alarmed this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to only 82.051285 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Convalarium Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Convalarium, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Convalarium, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which have sustained falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Convalarium, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay patients which sustained a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Convalarium, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay residents that are given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Convalarium, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Convalarium, 20.26% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Convalarium, 90.12% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Convalarium, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Convalarium, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Convalarium, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Convalarium, 12 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Convalarium, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Dublin, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Dublin, Ohio has 4 other nursing homes
- Dublin Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.46 miles away7500 Hospital Avenue Dublin Ohio 43016Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 544-8000
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.69 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Doctors HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.83 miles away5100 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43228Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 544-1000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 10.91 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Mount Carmel St Ann'sAcute Care Hospitals 11.37 miles away500 South Cleveland Avenue Westerville Ohio 43081Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 898-4000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 11.83 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 12.76 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.59 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Fmc - Columbus Northwest0.4 miles away6670 Perimeter Drive, Suite 180 Dublin Ohio 43016Dialysis Stations: 13 (614) 718-2863
- Davita - Dublin1.15 miles away6770 Perimeter Drive Dublin Ohio 43016Dialysis Stations: 12 (614) 798-8359
- Davita - Canal Winchester1.77 miles away3568 Gender Road Canal Winchester Ohio 43110Dialysis Stations: 13 (614) 834-3564
- Nxstage Kidney Care/Nxstage Columbus LLC2.71 miles away5665 Woerner Temple Road Dublin Ohio 43016Dialysis Stations: 10 (614) 915-3040
- Bio-Medical Applications of Ohio, Inc.7.32 miles away758 Communications Parkway Columbus Ohio 43217Dialysis Stations: 12 (614) 538-1060
- Davita - Hilliard Station Dialysis7.46 miles away2447 Hilliard Rome Road Hilliard Ohio 43026Dialysis Stations: 13 (614) 876-3610
- Davita - Columbus Dialysis8.35 miles away226 Graceland Blvd. - Suite 3-09a Columbus Ohio 43214CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (614) 985-1732
- Kidney Center of Columbus North10.15 miles away5700 Karl Road Columbus Ohio 43229Dialysis Stations: 7 (614) 846-9722