Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna is an average-sized nursing home located in Columbus, Ohio. This nursing home was given an F, which is definitely concerning in our grading scheme. Fortunately, if you aren't impressed with this facility, there are countless other options available in this city. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
167 North Stygler Road,
Columbus OH 43230
75.42% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Unfortunately, we didn't have any favorable things to write about this facility's overall grade or its other ratings. Its best category is the area of inspections. Nevertheless, with a D in this category, it still performed badly. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This facility was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they posed a threat to patient safety or health. Lastly, we also need to point out that this place received significant government fines in recent years of over $100,000. This typically means that a bad track record spanned more than one year.
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to note that this facility was given an F for its long-term care grade. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in this category likely don't provide the kind of consistent 24/7 care that some other facilities provide. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 31.794872 percent of its residents. This is significantly lower than what we expected. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing grade analyzes a handful of components, many of which are based on levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was short-term care. It received an F in this area, which is a very poor score. Our short-term care grades are meaningful for individuals seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Given its grade in this area, we weren't stunned to learn that this facility was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we looked at. Honestly, this was about what we expected here. Finally, we assessed the number of residents that were able to return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Closer supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna, 20.26% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna, 90.12% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels. Many argue that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna, 12 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Continuing Healthcare of Gahanna, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Columbus, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Columbus, Ohio has 35 other nursing homes
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 6.82 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.87 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Mount Carmel St Ann'sAcute Care Hospitals 7.01 miles away500 South Cleveland Avenue Westerville Ohio 43081Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 898-4000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 7.02 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.45 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 8.28 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 10.08 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Diley Ridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.26 miles away7911 Diley Road Canal Winchester Ohio 43110Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 838-7910
- Fresenius Medical Care New Albany LLC2.02 miles away991 E. Johnstown Rd. Columbus Ohio 43230Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 855-3677
- Fmc - Central Ohio East3.43 miles away4039 East Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43213CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 338-8202
- Davita - Columbus East Dialysis3.97 miles away299 Outerbelt Street Columbus Ohio 43213Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 501-7224
- Fmc - Mt. Carmel East4.15 miles away85 Mcnaughten Rd., Suite 140 Columbus Ohio 43213CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 322-0433
- Davita Minerva Park Dialysis4.15 miles away4401 Cleveland Avenue Columbus Ohio 43224Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 478-9604
- Fmc - Clayton Taylor4.69 miles away730 Taylor Avenue Columbus Ohio 43219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (614) 258-5898
- Fmc - Central Ohio5.36 miles away4661 Karl Road Columbus Ohio 43229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 840-0012
- Kidney Center of Whitehall LLC5.45 miles away6038 East Main Street Columbus Ohio 43213Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 866-4250