Consulate Health Care of Lakeland is in Lakeland, Florida. The city has a population of 237,282 people. This nursing home was given an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. Lakeland received a more impressive city grade of B, so there are far better options in the city worth considering. Surprisingly, this facility actually received one decent category score in inspections, which you can read more about below.
Consulate Health Care of Lakeland
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
5245 N Socrum Loop Rd,
Lakeland FL 33809
61.57% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a C for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. Our inspection scores are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were category G through L deficiencies. This tells you the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. This proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility an F. When determining a facility's nursing rating, we assess the number of hours nurses are seeing patients as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Consulate Health Care of Lakeland?
Short-term Care Quality
Another concern is the F this facility was given in the area of short-term care. Our short-term care scores are arguably more critical for people requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. With its score in this category, we were not surprised to discover that this place is well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that were able to return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed is long-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this category, which is a poor grade. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable percentage. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Consulate Health Care of Lakeland Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who suffered from urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients who were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 2.33% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 94.94% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Consulate Health Care of Lakeland, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Lakeland, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Lakeland, Florida has 11 other nursing homes
- Lakeland Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away1324 Lakeland Hills Blvd Lakeland Florida 33805Voluntary non-profit - Private(863) 687-1100
- South Florida Baptist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.55 miles away301 N Alexander St Plant City Florida 33563Voluntary non-profit - Private(813) 757-1200
- Bartow Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.27 miles away2200 Osprey Blvd Bartow Florida 33831Proprietary(863) 533-8111
- Winter Haven HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.46 miles away200 Ave F Ne Winter Haven Florida 33881Voluntary non-profit - Private(863) 293-1121
- Adventhealth ZephyrhillsAcute Care Hospitals 17.76 miles away7050 Gall Blvd Zephyrhills Florida 33541Voluntary non-profit - Church(813) 788-0411
- Adventhealth Heart of FloridaAcute Care Hospitals 19.62 miles away40100 Hwy 27 Davenport Florida 33837Proprietary(863) 422-4971
- Lake Vista Dialysis2.27 miles away3187 Us Hwy 98 N Lakeland Florida 33805CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (863) 603-2130
- Lakeland Dialysis2.79 miles away515 E. Bella Vista St. Lakeland Florida 33805Dialysis Stations: 16 (863) 688-5463
- Fresenius Kidney Care Lakeland3.05 miles away1550 Lakeland Hills Blvd Lakeland Florida 33805CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (863) 680-1046
- Lakeland South Dialysis9.02 miles away4774 South Florida Avenue Lakeland Florida 33813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (863) 646-0462
- Fmc-Auburndale10.08 miles away365 Havendale Blvd Auburndale Florida 33823Dialysis Stations: 16 (863) 551-3159
- Plant City Dialysis12.87 miles away1211 W Reynolds St Ste 1 Plant City Florida 33563CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (813) 752-2136
- Rai Care Centers - Winter Haven14.26 miles away1200 E Lake Silver Dr Winter Haven Florida 33881CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (863) 299-0007
- Winter Haven Dialysis15.29 miles away1625 Unity Way Nw Winter Haven Florida 33881CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (863) 294-8851