Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe is a nursing home located in Suffolk, Virginia, which has 84,522 people. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of D. A score in this range typically indicates a few red flags. Although this score isn't too far off the city grade in Suffolk which is a C, you still ought to be able to do better. Nevertheless, this nursing home surprisingly performed well in our inspections category, which you can read more about below.
Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it an A- for our inspections rating. This score is significantly more impressive than the facility's overall grade. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively insignificant. While this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home only received a grade of D for its long-term care score, which turns out to be one of its higher category grades. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care likely don't provide the type of consistent around the clock care that some other nursing homes offer. One of the datapoints we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. We were a bit worried that this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 60.240963 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home's next highest score was short-term care. As it turns out, with a D in this category, it still fared somewhat poorly. Our short-term care grade is typically used to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. With its abysmal grade in this area, we weren't shocked to discover this place offers far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of residents that ultimately returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 5.6 percent of its patients returning home.
The last area we assessed is nursing. This facility received an abysmal grade of F in that area. We assessed the skill-level of nurses at the facility, as well as the quantity of time those nurses worked with residents, in determining our rating in this area. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 3.63% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 91.12% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Concordia Transitional Care Rehab-Nansemond Pointe, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Suffolk, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Suffolk, Virginia has 3 other nursing homes
- Sentara Obici HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.5 miles away2800 Godwin Boulevard Suffolk Virginia 23439Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 934-4000
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.89 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 17.26 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.81 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 18.05 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.76 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Southampton Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.6 miles away100 Fairview Drive - PO Box 817 Franklin Virginia 23851Proprietary(757) 569-6100
- Deowee Dialysis2.89 miles away3009 Corporate Lane Ste. 130 Suffolk Virginia 23434Dialysis Stations: 13 (757) 539-0618
- Artificial Kidney Center - Suffolk2.96 miles away1005 Commercial Lane Suite 100 Suffolk Virginia 23434Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 934-0009
- Total Renal Care - Harbor View Dialysis12.39 miles away1039 Champions Way Bldg H Ste 500 Suffolk Virginia 23435Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 484-2814
- Fresenius Kidney Care North Suffolk12.8 miles away5140 River Club Dr. Ste 100 Suffolk Virginia 23435Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 483-2462
- Rai - Airline-Portsmouth 725312.94 miles away3080 Airline Blvd Portsmouth Virginia 23701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 488-3590
- Rai - Churchland-Chesapeake13.86 miles away5846 Churchland Blvd Portsmouth Virginia 23703CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 686-5770
- Davita - Greater Portsmouth15.19 miles awayDialysis Unit 3516 Queen St Portsmouth Virginia 23707CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (757) 397-2806
- Rai - South Church-Smithfield15.66 miles away1812-C S Church St Smithfield Virginia 23430Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 365-4293