Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe is a large nursing home in Virginia Beach, Virginia. With an overall score of F, we consider this to be a lower end nursing home. If you are not satisfied with this facility's mediocre overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are five other nursing homes in Virginia Beach. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this facility received a decent score in the area of long-term care. We provide additional information about this category below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Virginia Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection scores are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. Unfortunately, this ended up being one of its better grades. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular facility averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This figure is significantly below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this facility a rock-bottom F in the area of long-term care. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category may not provide the kind of consistent 24/7 care that some other facilities offer. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. We were disappointed to learn that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 39.14286 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we scored is short-term care. This facility was given a very poor grade of F in that area. Our short-term care grade is commonly used to grade a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.5 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 8.71% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 0.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 5.86% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 15.38% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 0% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 57.23% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 13.61% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 19.07% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 19.07% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 14.52% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 60.98% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Virginia Beach, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Virginia Beach, Virginia has 5 other nursing homes
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.06 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Sentara Virginia Beach General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away1060 First Colonial Road Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 395-8000
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.54 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.76 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 10.11 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 10.21 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.6 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Fmc - Virginia Beach1.13 miles away525 S Independence Blvd Ste 150 Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 687-7902
- Princess Anne Dialysis1.58 miles away3973 Holland Rd Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 340-3526
- Davita - Virginia Beach1.69 miles away740 Independence Cir Virginia Beach Virginia 23455CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 499-1301
- Stines Dialysis LLC2.42 miles away230 Clearfield Ave Ste 106 Virginia Beach Virginia 23462Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 518-9439
- Leigh Dialysis Center3.78 miles away420 N Center Dr Bldg 11 Ste 128 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 455-0060
- Kempsville Dialysis Center3.93 miles away6320 North Center Dr Bldg 15 Ste 140 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (757) 466-9446
- Kempsville Home Dialysis4.08 miles away6161 Kempsville Cir Suite 155 Norfolk Virginia 23502Dialysis Stations: 2 (757) 461-9422
- Fmc - First Colonial5.28 miles away933 First Colonial Rd Suite 112 Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Dialysis Stations: 21 (757) 428-1869