Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe is a large nursing home in Virginia Beach, Virginia. With an overall score of F, we consider this to be a lower end nursing home. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 11 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this facility received a decent score in the area of long-term care. We provide additional information about this category below.
Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection scores are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. Unfortunately, this ended up being one of its better grades. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular facility averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This figure is significantly below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe?
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this facility a rock-bottom F in the area of short-term care. In our short-term care score, we attempt to create a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess the facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. As you might expect, we learned that this nursing home offers significantly less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the typical facility. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.9 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was long-term care, in which this facility was given a bottom of the barrel grade in this category also. Sadly, it received an abysmal F for this area, which is definitely a major disappointment. When facilities receive this type of score in this category it is a bad sign for resident care and it may mean that the place is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. After we finished assessing the amount of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated only 51.24555 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 2.59% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 13.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 20.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 3.59% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 91.36% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 16.53% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 23.38% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 1.23 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 23.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 11.33 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Concordia Transitional Care and Rehab-River Pointe, 75.1% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Virginia Beach, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Virginia Beach, Virginia has 10 other nursing homes
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.06 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Sentara Virginia Beach General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away1060 First Colonial Road Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 395-8000
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.54 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.76 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 10.11 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 10.21 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.27 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.6 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Fmc - Virginia Beach1.13 miles away525 S Independence Blvd Ste 150 Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 687-7902
- Princess Anne Dialysis1.58 miles away3973 Holland Rd Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 340-3526
- Davita - Virginia Beach1.69 miles away740 Independence Cir Virginia Beach Virginia 23455CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (757) 499-1301
- Stines Dialysis LLC2.42 miles away230 Clearfield Ave Ste 106 Virginia Beach Virginia 23462Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 518-9439
- Leigh Dialysis Center3.78 miles away420 N Center Dr Bldg 11 Ste 128 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 455-0060
- Kempsville Dialysis Center3.93 miles away6320 North Center Dr Bldg 15 Ste 140 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (757) 466-9446
- Kempsville Home Dialysis4.08 miles away6161 Kempsville Cir Suite 155 Norfolk Virginia 23502Dialysis Stations: 2 (757) 461-9422
- Fmc - First Colonial5.28 miles away933 First Colonial Rd Suite 112 Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Dialysis Stations: 21 (757) 428-1869