Located in Toms River, New Jersey, Complete Care at Bey Lea is one of eight available nursing homes in the city. We gave this facility an overall grade of B+. A grade in this range requires solid marks in most areas. We were pleased to learn that this matched the average grade of nursing homes in Toms River, which is one of the better cities in New Jersey to find a nursing home. Fortunately, this place didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Complete Care at Bey Lea
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Toms River senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility fared well in the area of long-term care. As a result, we gave it a score of A for that category, which turns out to be one of our better scores. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 99.618324 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths for the elderly population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Complete Care at Bey Lea?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a decent score in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. Our short-term care ratings are probably most critical for folks in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes not merely nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below average.
Switching gears to the final area, this facility was given an acceptable nursing grade. While this was not nearly as dominant as some of its other grades, this is truly not a major area of concern. Nursing grades are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a relatively low total compared with most facilities. Lastly, our nursing scores also factor in quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically an indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Complete Care at Bey Lea Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 8.29% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients that have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 0.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 0.79% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 3.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 18.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 2.42% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 99.45% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 7.62% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 7.85% of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 7.85% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 7.76% of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Complete Care at Bey Lea, 72.94% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Toms River, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Toms River, New Jersey has 7 other nursing homes
- Community Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.01 miles away99 Rt 37 West Toms River New Jersey 08755Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 557-8000
- Monmouth Medical Center-Southern CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.93 miles away600 River Ave Lakewood New Jersey 08701Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 363-1900
- Ocean Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away425 Jack Martin Blvd Brick New Jersey 08724Voluntary non-profit - Other(732) 840-2200
- Centrastate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.04 miles away901 West Main Street Freehold New Jersey 07728Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 431-2000
- Southern Ocean Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.45 miles away1140 Rt 72 W Manahawkin New Jersey 08050Voluntary non-profit - Private(609) 597-6011
- Fmc John J De Palma Renal Center2.91 miles away1 Plaza Drive Toms River New Jersey 08757CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (732) 505-0637
- Fresenius Medical Care Toms River3.65 miles away970 Hooper Avenue Toms River New Jersey 08753CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 286-6502
- Kamakee Dialysis (Davita Ocean County Dc)4.78 miles away635 Bay Avenue Suite 215 Toms River New Jersey 08753Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 341-2730
- Physicians Dialysis Brick5.35 miles awayRenal Center 150 Brick Boulevard Brick New Jersey 08723CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 477-2247
- Fmc Lakewood Dialysis6.43 miles awaySeagull Shopping Plaza 1328 River Avenue Ste 16 Lakewood New Jersey 08701Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 730-2222
- Meridian-Fresenius Dialysis at Brick6.9 miles away1640 Route 88 Suite 102 Brick New Jersey 08724CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (732) 785-2690
- Shining Star Davita Bricktown Dc7.1 miles away525 Jack Martin Boulevard Suite 200 Brick New Jersey 08724CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 836-9669
- Fmc Whiting Dialysis Ctr9.93 miles away400-430 Route 530 Pinewald-Keswick Road Manchester Township New Jersey 08759CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 350-8405