Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino is an average-sized non-profit facility located in San Bernardino, California. This nursing home was given a strong overall rating of B+, which is better than quite a few of the nursing homes in San Bernardino. This place truly has plenty going for it. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home did not have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on San Bernardino senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Respiratory Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality facility overall, this facility especially excelled in our inspections category, where it received an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A-. The nursing grade analyzes many datapoints, however, the most important one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages 1.1 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a strong long-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our better grades in that category with a grade of B+. Facilities that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we rated is short-term care. This nursing home received an above average short-term care rating in our assessment, with a grade of B-. While this isn't as good as some of its other scores, this remains a respectable grade in that area. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we look at a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This category is often a meaningful measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we assessed in this area is the number of residents who returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care residents that have sustained falls which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term stay residents who have experienced a UTI. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino, 5.83% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino, 95.65% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Community Convalescent Center of San Bernardino, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Scores for San Bernardino, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Bernardino, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital of San BernardinoAcute Care Hospitals 0.07 miles away1805 Medical Center Drive San Bernardino California 92411Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 887-6333
- St Bernardine Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away2101 N Waterman Ave San Bernardino California 92404Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 883-8711
- Arrowhead Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.29 miles away400 North Pepper Avenue Colton California 92324Government - Local(909) 580-1000
- Loma Linda University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.66 miles away11234 Anderson St Loma Linda California 92354Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 558-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital FontanaAcute Care Hospitals 7.43 miles away9961 Sierra Ave Fontana California 92335Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 427-5500
- Redlands Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away350 Terracina Blvd Redlands California 92373Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 335-5500
- Riverside Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.11 miles away4445 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92501Proprietary(951) 788-3000
- Mountains Community HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 12.77 miles away29101 Hospital Road Lake Arrowhead California 92352Government - Hospital District or Authority(909) 336-3651
- Davita Serrano Dialysis0.05 miles away1800 Medical Center Dr. Suite 150 San Bernardino California 92411Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 887-2717
- Davita-Mountain Vista Dialysis Center2.46 miles away4041 University Parkway San Bernardino California 92407CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (909) 887-0173
- Fmc-Rai-North Waterman-San Bernardino2.5 miles away1500 N. Waterman Avenue. Suite A San Bernardino California 92404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 381-1591
- Fmc-Rai-North Riverside-Rialto2.78 miles away1850 N. Riverside Avenue, Suite 150 Rialto California 92376CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (909) 879-1185
- Fmc-Rai-Care Centers of Colton, LLC4.12 miles away1275 W. "C" Street Colton California 92324CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (909) 430-0930
- Arrowhead Regional Medical Center4.18 miles away400 N. Pepper Avenue Colton California 92324Dialysis Stations: 8 (909) 580-3911
- Davita-Colton Ranch Dialysis4.39 miles away1405 Valley Blvd., Suite 100 Colton California 92324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 783-7948
- Fmc-San Bernardino5.02 miles away636 E. Brier Drive, Suite 150 San Bernardino California 92408CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (909) 890-9508