Community Care on Palm is in Riverside, California. This city is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation with has a population of 419,138 people. With an overall score of D, this is a relatively poor facility. This place seems to have very little going for it. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Community Care on Palm
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Riverside senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Although this facility's overall grade was not favorable, it surprisingly earned a very good score in long-term care. We awarded it a B for that category, which is one of our better grades. Facilities that receive this type of score in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are well cared for. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a reliable method to avoid negative health outcomes for the elderly population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable category was short-term care. We gave it a B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the pack score in this category. Short-term care ratings are important for patients in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Community Care on Palm?
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is not a bad score. The nursing rating is based on several subcategories, however, the primary one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, our nursing scores also factor in quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Turning the final category of inspections, this ended up being this facility's weakest link. Inspection grades are based on a facility's recent government inspection reports. We gave this facility a D in this category, which is a very weak grade. Our inspection grades weigh many items on the nursing home's inspection reports. When you see severe deficiencies on the inspection reports, this is generally a bad sign. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. This facility was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 5 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Community Care on Palm Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Community Care on Palm, 7.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Community Care on Palm, 3.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Community Care on Palm, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Community Care on Palm, 15.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Community Care on Palm, 13.19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Community Care on Palm, 9.3% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Community Care on Palm, 97% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Community Care on Palm, 16% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Community Care on Palm, 15.71% of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Community Care on Palm, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Community Care on Palm, 15.71% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Community Care on Palm, 19.51% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Riverside, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Riverside, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Riverside Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.63 miles away4445 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92501Proprietary(951) 788-3000
- Doctors Hospital of RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 4.4 miles away3865 Jackson Street Riverside California 92503Voluntary non-profit - Private(951) 688-2211
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital, RiversideAcute Care Hospitals 6.54 miles away10800 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92505Voluntary non-profit - Other(951) 353-2000
- Arrowhead Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.01 miles away400 North Pepper Avenue Colton California 92324Government - Local(909) 580-1000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital FontanaAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away9961 Sierra Ave Fontana California 92335Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 427-5500
- Loma Linda University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.93 miles away11234 Anderson St Loma Linda California 92354Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 558-4000
- Redlands Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.35 miles away350 Terracina Blvd Redlands California 92373Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 335-5500
- Community Hospital of San BernardinoAcute Care Hospitals 11.35 miles away1805 Medical Center Drive San Bernardino California 92411Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 887-6333
- Davita-Riverside Dialysis Center2.11 miles away4361 Latham Street, Suite 100 Riverside California 92501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (951) 682-2700
- Davita-Jurupa Valley Dialysis4.01 miles away8080 Limonite Avenue Riverside California 92509Dialysis Stations: 25 (951) 361-9405
- Van Buren Dialysis4.99 miles away3595 Van Buren Blvd., Suite 101 Riverside California 92503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (951) 977-9466
- Davita-Riverside Pd Central6.74 miles away3660 Park Sierra, Suite 108 Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 11 (951) 687-3900
- Davita-Magnolia West at Home6.75 miles away3660 Park Sierra Drive, Suite 103 Riverside California 92505Dialysis Stations: 2 (951) 373-4004
- Davita-Colton Ranch Dialysis6.89 miles away1405 Valley Blvd., Suite 100 Colton California 92324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 783-7948
- Fmc-Rai-Juniper Ave-Fontana6.9 miles away10557 Juniper Avenue, Suite B Fontana California 92337CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (909) 854-4336
- Davita-Magnolia West Dialysis7.03 miles away11161 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92505CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (951) 351-8090