Community Care Center is in La Mesa, California. This nursing home received a rock bottom overall score based on the data we assessed. La Mesa received a more impressive city grade of B+, so there are far better options in the city worth considering. We were surprisingly able to give this nursing home some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can find more information about below.
Community Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
8665 La Mesa Blvd.,
La Mesa CA 91942
89.91% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually performed well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for that area, which is one of our better scores. Inspection grades are based on several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these reports. Most importantly, you should avoid nursing homes with severe deficiencies linked to endangerment of patients. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to be an immediate risk to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Unfortunately, this facility only received a grade of D for its nursing grade, which was actually one of its better category grades. Nursing grades are largely based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home offered just 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This statistic is significantly below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This place fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Community Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home's next highest category was long-term care. However, with a grade of D in this category, it still performed relatively badly. For prospective residents seeking a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 95.562126 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is better than the average nursing home. Surprisingly, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed is short-term care. This nursing home was given a very poor grade of F in this category. Short-term care scores are crucial for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 4.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Community Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Community Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Community Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Community Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents which sustained urinary tract infections. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Community Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Community Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Community Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients showing symptoms of depression. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Community Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Community Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Community Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Community Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Community Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Community Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Community Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for La Mesa, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? La Mesa, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.69 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.73 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 5.24 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 8.17 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.65 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center1.4 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis2.78 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College3.08 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon3.4 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-Balboa East County4.87 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego5.16 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise5.84 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Davita-San Diego East6.04 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225