Community Care Center is a large nursing home located in Duarte, California. With a really poor overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. Based on our ratings, this facility is not a good fit for any prospective resident. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
Community Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Community Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Mental Health
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although this facility's overall grade was terrible, it didn't perform as badly in nursing. In fact, we awarded it a B- for this area. We looked at the skill-level of nurses working for the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours the nurses were with patients, in determining our grade in this area. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't rate poorly in the category of short-term care. In fact, we gave it a C in that category, which ended up being among its more respectable scores. In computing our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The key is determining what effect this had on the quality of care. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Community Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second lowest category is long-term care, where it earned a grade of just D in that category. This is a well below average grade. For prospective patients seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. One of the statistics we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this place also keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
The final category we looked at was inspections. This facility did not receive positive government inspection reports in recent years. In fact, we had to give it an F here. When a facility has this bad of an inspection grade, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This particular facility was hit with 7 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a threat to resident safety or health. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Community Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Community Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained a fall resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Community Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Community Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Community Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Community Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Community Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Community Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that mobility is important for patients well-being.
In Community Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Community Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Duarte, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of C
Looking for more options? Duarte, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.03 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.69 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.17 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.38 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.08 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.57 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Mountain View Dialysis Center, Inc.1.43 miles away900 S. Mountain Avenue Monrovia California 91016Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 932-1810
- Advanced Dialysis Center3.22 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Fmc-Irwindale3.36 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944
- Davita-Arcadia Oaks Dialysis3.72 miles away721 W Huntington Drive, Suite a-D Arcadia California 91007CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 294-9682
- Temple City Dialysis Facility, Inc.3.99 miles away9945 Lower Azusa Road Temple City California 91780CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 442-3400
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center4.55 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center4.67 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007
- Azusa Dialysis Center, LLC4.77 miles away312 N. Azusa Avenue Azusa California 91702Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 633-1500