Community Care Center is a very-large nursing home located in Chicago, Illinois. This facility received a rock bottom overall score based on the data we looked at. In our grading scheme, this is one of the ten worst rated nursing homes in Chicago. Since the city offers countless other nursing homes, you should be able to find a better option here. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Community Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Community Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Even though we gave this nursing home a terrible overall score, we awarded it a grade of B- for our nursing category. In computing our nursing scores, we weigh both staffing levels and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures. Although this place got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did very well in this metric. This can be a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning a patient more often.
Short-term Care Quality
We were also stunned to discover that this facility earned a solid short-term care rating this year. We gave it a C in that area. Our short-term care ratings are presumably most meaningful for patients requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Community Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't perform terribly in the category of long-term care. In fact, we gave it a grade of C in that area, which ended up being among its more favorable grades. In determining our long-term care scores, we look at the personal care offered to the facility's patients. After considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. We were disappointed to learn that this facility vaccinated a relatively low 55.532356 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The last category we looked at was inspections. Unfortunately, this ended up being this facility's worst grade. We gave it a grade of just D in this category. Since this information is collected by independent government inspectors, we weight it heavily in our grading. Inspection grades factor in many items found on the facility's recent inspection reports. If you find too many deficiencies on the reports, this is typically the worst sign. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to patient safety. This nursing home had 7 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Community Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Community Care Center, 7.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Community Care Center, 1.46% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. More supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Community Care Center, 2.32% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Community Care Center, 33.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used to treat a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Community Care Center, 11.83% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Community Care Center, 80.61% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Community Care Center, 76.57% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Community Care Center, 11.69% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Community Care Center, 10.48% of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who maintained mobility. Some believe that mobility is vital to patients health.
In Community Care Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Community Care Center, 10.48% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Provident Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 1.09 miles away500 E 51st St Chicago Illinois 60615Government - Local(312) 572-2000
- Mercy Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.16 miles away2525 S Michigan Ave Chicago Illinois 60616Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 567-2000
- The University of Chicago Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.18 miles away5841 South Maryland Chicago Illinois 60637Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 702-1000
- St Bernard HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.66 miles away326 W 64th St Chicago Illinois 60621Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 962-3900
- University of Illinois HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.37 miles away1740 West Taylor St Suite 1400 Chicago Illinois 60612Government - State(312) 996-3900
- Jackson Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.51 miles away7531 S Stony Island Ave Chicago Illinois 60649Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 947-7500
- Saint Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away2875 West 19th Street Chicago Illinois 60623Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 521-1710
- Rush University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.67 miles away1653 West Congress Parkway Chicago Illinois 60612Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 942-5000
- Davita - Kenwood Pd0.92 miles away4259 Cottage Grove Ave Suite 200 Chicago Illinois 60653Dialysis Stations: 7 (773) 924-5948
- Davita - Woodlawn Dialysis0.93 miles away5060 S State St Chicago Illinois 60609CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (773) 924-2149
- Davita - Kenwood Dialysis0.96 miles away4529 S. Cottage Grove Avenue, Ste 100 Chicago Illinois 60653CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (773) 285-3621
- Fmc - Garfield1.45 miles away5401 South Wentworth Chicago Illinois 60609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (773) 548-5714
- Fmc - Bridgeport1.53 miles away825 West 35th Street Chicago Illinois 60609CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (773) 890-4330
- Davita - Emerald Dialysis1.58 miles away710 West 43rd Street Chicago Illinois 60609CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (773) 843-5668
- Fresenius Medical Care Chigacogland, LLC1.94 miles away4616 Bishop Street Chicago Illinois 60609Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 650-5900
- Fmc - Ross Dialysis - Englewood2.71 miles away946 W. 63rd Street Chicago Illinois 60621CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (773) 873-2000