Orchard Cove is a small non-profit facility in Canton, Massachusetts. We gave this nursing home an A overall grade, ranking it in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the nation. We simply can't say enough good things about this facility. Headlining this place's exemplary profile is its nursing rating, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Canton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to a phenomenal overall grade, this facility also received A+ nursing grade. There are a variety of factors included in this area. Many of the subcategories are tied to staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of turning patients more often.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its first-rate profile, this facility also excelled in our short-term care category. In fact, we gave it a score of A for that category. Our short-term care scores are critical for prospective residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional skilled nursing. This includes a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Orchard Cove?
This facility has had near flawless inspections in recent years. We gave them an A in this area. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we have deficiency data for this nursing home. We wish we had more data for this facility. Without the deficiency related data, it ended up being challenging to assess this nursing home in this area.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is long-term care, where this nursing home received a B-. While this proved to be its worst category grade, this is nevertheless not a major area of concern. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 93.269226 percent of its residents. This is slightly less than we expected but still a respectable figure. Nevertheless, this facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Orchard Cove Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Orchard Cove, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents that have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Orchard Cove, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percent of long-term patients who experienced a fall which caused serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Orchard Cove, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Orchard Cove, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Orchard Cove, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Orchard Cove, 2.48% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Orchard Cove, 91.39% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Orchard Cove, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Orchard Cove, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term residents that retained mobility levels.
In Orchard Cove, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Orchard Cove, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Orchard Cove, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Orchard Cove, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 6.13 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.91 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away55 Fogg Road South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 340-8000
- Signature Healthcare Brockton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away680 Center Street Brockton Massachusetts 02302Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 941-7000
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.1 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC3.27 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)4.64 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center5.81 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC5.97 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)7.96 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Quality Care Dialysis Center8.2 miles awayUnit 1 Stetson West 2 West Street Unit 1 South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (781) 331-4100
- South Suburban Dialysis Facility8.26 miles away(Bma Quincy) 241 Parkingway Quincy Massachusetts 02169Dialysis Stations: 20 (617) 847-1700
- Us Renal Care Weymouth Dialysis8.47 miles away587 Washington Street Weymouth Massachusetts 02188Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 340-3938