Colonial Village is a facility in Overland Park, Kansas, a city with a population of 169,942 people. It looks like this nursing home is ranked among the most elite nursing homes we found. In fact, it received the very best grade. We were so impressed with this facility that we rated it as one of the 10 best nursing homes in Kansas. As you will see below, this nursing home performed equally well in our category ratings. We give this place two thumbs up!
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Kansas Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Overland Park, Kansas Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Kansas Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place turned out to be a quality nursing home is it received an A+ in our inspections category. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Arguably the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded an A+ long-term care grade, making it one of the few nursing homes to be given more than one A+ category grades. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Colonial Village?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. The nursing score is based on a handful of factors, but the most important one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Kansas in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving a resident even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last category, this facility received an extremely favorable short-term care grade. We gave it an A in that category, rounding out a straight A profile. Short-term care ratings are crucial for patients requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Colonial Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Colonial Village, 7.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Colonial Village, 5.14% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term patients who sustained falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Colonial Village, 3.56% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Colonial Village, 17.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents which were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Colonial Village, 22.38% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Colonial Village, 5.98% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many believe that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Colonial Village, 91.04% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Colonial Village, 16.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Colonial Village, 19.61% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Colonial Village, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Colonial Village, 19.61 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Colonial Village, 10.57 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Colonial Village, 74.57% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Overland Park, KS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Overland Park, Kansas has 11 other nursing homes
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Olathe Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.25 miles away20333 West 151st Street Olathe Kansas 66061Voluntary non-profit - Private(913) 791-4200
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.77 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 8.12 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.77 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 13.71 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Davita Nottingham Dialysis0.86 miles away14010 W 134th Pl Olathe Kansas 66062Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 764-0358
- Davita Overland Park Dialysis3.31 miles away12201 W 110th St Overland Park Kansas 66210Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 451-5984
- Bio-Medical Applications of Leawood4.33 miles away6751 W 119th St Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 491-6341
- Nall Dialysis4.76 miles away10787 Nall Ave #130 Leawood Kansas 66211Dialysis Stations: 15 (913) 649-2671
- Fkc - Lenexa4.76 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571
- Olathe Dialysis5.2 miles away732 W Frontier Lane Olathe Kansas 66061CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 390-4937
- Johnson County Dialysis6.6 miles away10453 W 84th Terrace Overland Park Kansas 66214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (913) 492-2044
- Lenexa Dialysis6.76 miles away8630 Halsey Lenexa Kansas 66215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 894-1100