Colonial Nursing Home is a small nursing home located in Crown Point, Indiana. It looks like this facility is a subpar facility. A score of this caliber indicates we found some red flags. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Crown Point. The city has just one other nursing home. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection rating. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Colonial Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
119 N Indiana Ave,
Crown Point IN 46307
62% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this facility overall, we awarded it a B for our inspections rating. This grade is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid facilities with a list of severe deficiencies flagged. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This means the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable area was short-term care. We awarded it a B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the road score in this area. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Colonial Nursing Home?
Unfortunately, this facility only received a grade of D for its nursing grade, which was actually one of its better category grades. There are a variety of datapoints included in this category. Many of the criteria are tied to staffing levels. This place averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is well below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we rated was long-term care. Sadly, it received an abysmal F in this area, which is a very poor grade. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Colonial Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Colonial Nursing Home, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Colonial Nursing Home, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Colonial Nursing Home, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term care patients who sustained UTI's. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Colonial Nursing Home, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care patients that were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Colonial Nursing Home, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Colonial Nursing Home, 14.48% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Colonial Nursing Home, 91.03% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Colonial Nursing Home, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Colonial Nursing Home, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that remained mobile levels.
In Colonial Nursing Home, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Colonial Nursing Home, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Colonial Nursing Home, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Colonial Nursing Home, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
- Franciscan Health Crown PointAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away1201 S Main St Crown Point Indiana 46307Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 757-6100
- St Mary Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.18 miles away1500 S Lake Park Ave Hobart Indiana 46342Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 942-0551
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 10.17 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 11.51 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.92 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 12.49 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 15.64 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 16.02 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Fmc - Crown Point2.31 miles away851 W. Burrell St. Crown Point Indiana 46307CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 662-2648
- Davita - Merrillville Dialysis2.37 miles away9223 Taft Street Merrillville Indiana 46410Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 793-9035
- Fmc - Merrillville Dialysis Center3.3 miles away550 West 84th Drive Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (219) 795-1990
- Home Dialysis Services Merrillville, LLC3.95 miles away200 East 80th Place Suite 2 Merrillville Indiana 46410Dialysis Stations: 1 (219) 472-0379
- Davita - St. John Dialysis6.05 miles away10033 Wicker Ave Saint John Indiana 46373Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 365-5043
- Merrillville North Dialysis Center6.25 miles away6059 Broadway Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 980-1090
- Schererville Dialysis Center6.63 miles away1534 Us Highway 41 Schererville Indiana 46375Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 322-5448
- Davita - Gary7.82 miles away4802 Broadway Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (219) 887-1199