Colonial Gardens Nursing Home is an average-sized nursing home in Pico Rivera, California. This is a subpar nursing home, with an overall grade of D. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Pico Rivera. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Colonial Gardens Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Pico Rivera senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Even though we did not give this facility a good overall grade, we gave it a strong score in long-term care, where it received a B+. This is better than most facilities in this area. This helped an otherwise poor profile. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. Unfortunately, this ended up being one of its better grades. We weighed the licensure of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses were with patients, in determining our rating in this area. With a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these datapoints to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Colonial Gardens Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this nursing home a grade of just D for our short-term care rating. This is not an impressive grade. Short-term care grades are vital for patients in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires more highly-skilled nursing. This means a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
This nursing home did not receive a favorable inspection rating. We gave it a just D in this category. Inspection grades relate to a nursing home's inspections. We weight poor inspection ratings heavily in our assessment. Since the inspections are compiled by independent government inspectors, we consider this data to be very reliable. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. We recommend you pay close attention to the level of severity of those deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 5 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 10 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Colonial Gardens Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that have suffered falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 5.83% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 95.65% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients mental and physical well-being.
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess short-term care.
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 3.53 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Davita-Bluff Rd Dialysis1.11 miles away100 W. Washington Blvd. Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (323) 728-2984
- Davita-Santa Fe Springs Dialysis1.63 miles away11147 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 695-0827
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center2.43 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436
- u.s. Renal Care Montebello Dialysis2.49 miles away433 N. 4th. St., Suite 102 Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (323) 278-5555
- Davita-Doctors Dialysis Center of Montebello2.57 miles away1721 W. Whittier Blvd. Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (323) 722-1116
- Davita-Sfs Dialysis2.75 miles away10012 Norwalk Blvd., Suite 190 Santa Fe Springs California 90670CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 903-8281
- Intercommunity Dialysis Center3.12 miles away12455 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90602CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (562) 696-1841
- East Los Angeles Dialysis Center3.18 miles away5830 E. Whittier Blvd. Los Angeles California 90022CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (323) 887-8545