Colonial Gardens Nursing Home is an average-sized nursing home in Pico Rivera, California. This is a subpar nursing home, with an overall grade of D. If you are not happy with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Pico Rivera. The city has just three other nursing homes. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next section.
Colonial Gardens Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Even though we did not give this facility a good overall grade, we gave it a strong score in long-term care, where it received a B+. This is better than most facilities in this area. This helped an otherwise poor profile. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
We also want to point out that this facility received a decent grade in our nursing category. We awarded it a grade of C in the area. We weighed the licensure of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses were with patients, in determining our rating in this area. This facility provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a somewhat concerning figure which is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility surprisingly fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Colonial Gardens Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home's next highest category was short-term care. Nevertheless, with a grade of D in this area, it still fared relatively poorly. In our short-term care assessment, we endeavor to create a sound barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze a facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Moving on the final category of inspections, this facility had an abysmal showing. It received an F in our inspection category. With places that received this bad of an inspection rating, we recommend scrutinizing any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular facility was hit with 5 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 9 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Colonial Gardens Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which have had a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that experienced a urinary tract infection. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 95.44% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that the ability to move around is important for patients physical and mental well-being.
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Colonial Gardens Nursing Home, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Scores for Pico Rivera, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of C
Looking for more options? Pico Rivera, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.51 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 3.53 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.65 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Davita-Bluff Rd Dialysis1.11 miles away100 W. Washington Blvd. Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (323) 728-2984
- Davita-Santa Fe Springs Dialysis1.63 miles away11147 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 695-0827
- Davita-Downey Dialysis Center2.43 miles away9041 Imperial Hwy. Downey California 90242CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (562) 622-4436
- u.s. Renal Care Montebello Dialysis2.49 miles away433 N. 4th. St., Suite 102 Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (323) 278-5555
- Davita-Doctors Dialysis Center of Montebello2.57 miles away1721 W. Whittier Blvd. Montebello California 90640CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (323) 722-1116
- Davita-Sfs Dialysis2.75 miles away10012 Norwalk Blvd., Suite 190 Santa Fe Springs California 90670CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 903-8281
- Intercommunity Dialysis Center3.12 miles away12455 Washington Blvd. Whittier California 90602CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (562) 696-1841
- East Los Angeles Dialysis Center3.18 miles away5830 E. Whittier Blvd. Los Angeles California 90022CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (323) 887-8545