Colonial Care Center is in the large metropolitan area of Long Beach, California which has a total of 471,952 people. It looks like this facility is a subpar facility. A score in this range indicates we found a few red flags. Keep in mind that Long Beach received a city grade of B-, so should look at other options in the city as well. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was nursing, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Colonial Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Even though we gave this nursing home a poor overall score, we actually gave it a fairly respectable grade in nursing, where it received a B-. This was better than its other category scores. When computing our nursing scores, we weigh both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a somewhat discouraging figure which is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next best area was long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B-. In determining our long-term care grades, we scrutinize the assistance with daily living received by the nursing home's patients. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 99.85251 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Colonial Care Center?
This nursing home received mediocre government inspections in recent years. We awarded them a C in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are quite insignificant. This place was assessed 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were in categories G through L. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed is short-term care. It received an F for this area, which is a bottom of the barrel score. Short-term care scores are crucial for individuals in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. With a score of this caliber for this area, we weren't stunned to find this facility was well below average in two of the key staffing figures we focus on. It supplied significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most nursing homes. The final item we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.3 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Colonial Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Colonial Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Colonial Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Colonial Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients which suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint may also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Colonial Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Colonial Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Colonial Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Colonial Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Colonial Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Colonial Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Colonial Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Colonial Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Colonial Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Colonial Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.18 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.82 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.11 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.4 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.34 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 10.47 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.48 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis1.11 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center1.33 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- Fmc-Long Beach1.71 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis2.67 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis2.7 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center3.1 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita-United Dialysis Center4.58 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis4.58 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403