Collington is a small non-profit nursing home located in Bowie, Maryland. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is very good grade. In fact, this nursing home is one of the 50 best facilities in Maryland. The best part of this nursing home's strong profile is its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Bowie, Maryland Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Bowie, Maryland Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Bowie, Maryland Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall rating, this nursing home also earned an A+ inspection grade. This is based on the facility's recent government inspections. An A+ in this area is one of the best complements we can pay to a nursing home. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its fine profile, this nursing home also was awarded an excellent short-term care grade, with a grade of A. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients that returned home from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Collington?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is long-term care. Contributing to its top-shelf resume, this facility also excelled in this area. In fact, we awarded it a of A- in that category. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 96.42857 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The next area we assessed proved to be this facility's worst area. Nevertheless, even in its worst category we still awarded it a decent grade of B- for nursing. We looked at the levels of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses were with residents, in computing our score in this category. This facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This figure is significantly below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Collington Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Collington, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that have pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Collington, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Collington, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Collington, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Collington, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Collington, 10.18% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Collington, 92.14% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Collington, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Collington, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.79 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 9.87 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- United Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.22 miles away1310 Southern Avenue Se Washington District of Columbia 20032Proprietary(202) 574-6611
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.29 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.54 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- George Washington Univ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.87 miles away900 23rd St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20037Proprietary(202) 716-4605
- Kidney Care of Largo0.75 miles away1300 Mercantile Ln Ste 194 Upper Marlboro Maryland 20774CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (301) 925-4100
- Largo Town Center Dialysis0.94 miles away1101 Mercantile Lane Ste 104 Upper Marlboro Maryland 20774Dialysis Stations: 23 (301) 341-7480
- Capital Region Dialysis Clinic LLC1.51 miles away1051 Brightseat Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20785Dialysis Stations: 9 (240) 487-4200
- Holy Cross Dialysis Center - Woodmore1.55 miles away11721 Woodmore Rd Ste 190 Bowie Maryland 20721CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (301) 390-7270
- Nxstage Kidney Care Greenbelt2.21 miles away10003 Derekwood Ln Suite 100 and 145 Lanham Maryland 20706Dialysis Stations: 18 (240) 544-0811
- Renal Care of Lanham2.35 miles away4451 Parliament Place Ste "R" Lanham Maryland 20706CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (301) 459-7300
- Fmc - Brightseat2.62 miles away835 Brightseat Road Hyattsville Maryland 20785Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 333-5186
- Davita - Landover2.74 miles away1200 Mercantile Ln Ste 105 Upper Marlboro Maryland 20774CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (301) 322-2861