Collington Episcopal Life Care is a small non-profit nursing home located in Bowie, Maryland. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B+, which is very good grade. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Collington Episcopal Life Care
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this area usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility truly excelled in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of A-. Only a select group of nursing homes performed better in this area. Our short-term care scores are likely more important for patients needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Collington Episcopal Life Care?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the area of long-term care, where it received a grade of B+. It performed better than most nursing homes in this category. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is usually a good sign for resident care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 96.77419 percent of its residents, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we graded is this facility's weakest area. Nevertheless, even in its worst category we still awarded it a decent grade of C for nursing. The nursing category assesses quite a few components, many of which are based on nursing hours. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, our nursing ratings also consider quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a good indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Collington Episcopal Life Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Collington Episcopal Life Care, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Collington Episcopal Life Care, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care residents who have suffered falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Collington Episcopal Life Care, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Collington Episcopal Life Care, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care residents that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Collington Episcopal Life Care, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Collington Episcopal Life Care, 10.05% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients showing symptoms of depression. Some argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Collington Episcopal Life Care, 92.62% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Collington Episcopal Life Care, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Collington Episcopal Life Care, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Collington Episcopal Life Care, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.76 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.06 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.79 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 9.87 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- United Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.22 miles away1310 Southern Avenue Se Washington District of Columbia 20032Proprietary(202) 574-6611
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.29 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.54 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- George Washington Univ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.87 miles away900 23rd St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20037Proprietary(202) 716-4605
- Kidney Care of Largo0.75 miles away1300 Mercantile Ln Ste 194 Upper Marlboro Maryland 20774CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (301) 925-4100
- Largo Town Center Dialysis0.94 miles away1101 Mercantile Lane Ste 104 Upper Marlboro Maryland 20774Dialysis Stations: 23 (301) 341-7480
- Capital Region Dialysis Clinic LLC1.51 miles away1051 Brightseat Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20785Dialysis Stations: 9 (240) 487-4200
- Holy Cross Dialysis Center - Woodmore1.55 miles away11721 Woodmore Rd Ste 190 Bowie Maryland 20721CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (301) 390-7270
- Nxstage Kidney Care Greenbelt2.21 miles away10003 Derekwood Ln Suite 100 and 145 Lanham Maryland 20706Dialysis Stations: 18 (240) 544-0811
- Renal Care of Lanham2.35 miles away4451 Parliament Place Ste "R" Lanham Maryland 20706CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (301) 459-7300
- Fmc - Brightseat2.62 miles away835 Brightseat Road Hyattsville Maryland 20785Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 333-5186
- Davita - Landover2.74 miles away1200 Mercantile Ln Ste 105 Upper Marlboro Maryland 20774CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (301) 322-2861