College Vista Post-Acute is located in Los Angeles, California, which features more than 20 nursing homes. This nursing home is a lower end nursing home. A score of this caliber suggests we found a few red flags. While this grade isn't too far off the city grade in Los Angeles which is a C, you still should be able to find a better option. If you aren't deterred by this place's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category grades. We discuss inspections in the next section.
College Vista Post-Acute
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this place overall, we awarded it a B+ for our inspections category. This grade is far better than the place's overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively minor. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's short-term care rating turns out to be one of its better scores. The nursing home received a grade of C in this category. In forming our short-term care scores, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we assessed the number of residents that returned home from this facility. We found that 4.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below average.
Does this page answer your questions about College Vista Post-Acute?
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable category is long-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. This is basically a slightly below average score in this area. In our long-term care category, we focus more on the sheer quantity of care provided by a nursing home, as well as a series of qualitative datapoints. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is more than the majority of nursing homes. This facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The last category we graded is nursing. We gave this facility a grade of C in this area. Our nursing score analyzes quite a few factors, many of which are associated with levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a relatively low total compared to most facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
College Vista Post-Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In College Vista Post-Acute, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents which are suffering from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In College Vista Post-Acute, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In College Vista Post-Acute, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that suffered from UTI's. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In College Vista Post-Acute, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In College Vista Post-Acute, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In College Vista Post-Acute, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting signs of depression. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In College Vista Post-Acute, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In College Vista Post-Acute, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In College Vista Post-Acute, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients health.
In College Vista Post-Acute, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In College Vista Post-Acute, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In College Vista Post-Acute, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In College Vista Post-Acute, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.57 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.74 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 4.7 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis1.49 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-North Glendale1.64 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis2.06 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Fmc-West Glendale2.45 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis3.15 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Huntington Dialysis Center3.81 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena3.87 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis3.88 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818