College Vista Convalescent Hospital is in the large metropolitan area of Los Angeles, California. With an overall rating of D, this is a relatively poor facility. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 74 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. The only positive thing we can say about this nursing home is that it didn't receive any F's in in any of the major categories. More information about these categories is available below.
College Vista Convalescent Hospital
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
4681 Eagle Rock Blvd.,
Los Angeles CA 90041
98.36% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively favorable health inspections in recent years. We gave it a B+ in this area, which is much better than its overall grade. Our inspection scores are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. You should especially avoid nursing homes with severe deficiencies linked to endangerment of patients. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
The next highest category we gave this facility in any area came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a grade of C. In our short-term care assessment, we try to forge a meaningful measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at the facility's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. This nursing home boosted its score in this category by offering more than 50% more physical therapy hours to its residents than the average facility. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. This place was respectable in this metric with 47.8 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about College Vista Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this facility was given a grade of just D in that area. For residents seeking a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, we looked at its number of hospitalizations. We found that this nursing home fared much worse with 3.94 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, this statistic is more than twice the national average.
Moving on to the last category, we gave this nursing home a D in our nursing category. This is the facility's least impressive category rating. When calculating a facility's nursing grade, we assess the quantity of hours nurses are caring for patients and the level of skill of the nurses. Quantity of nursing care does not appear to be the source of this facility's poor nursing grade. This facility provides 3.9 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is better than we expected. In computing our grades, we apply additional weight to hours performed by more highly skilled nurses such as registered nurses. Despite being above average in terms of nursing hours, this facility had abysmal scores in some of the quality-based measures we looked at in determining our nursing ratings. For starters, we looked at the percent of residents sustaining pressure ulcers. This nursing home was at more than double the national average in this statistic. This is quite alarming when you consider that many bed sores are believed to be preventable with better nursing care. This ended up sealing the facility's fate of receiving a very poor nursing grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
College Vista Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care residents that experienced a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients who have had urinary tract infections. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 4.32% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 96.21% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In College Vista Convalescent Hospital, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 73 other nursing homes
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.57 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.74 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 4.7 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis1.49 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-North Glendale1.64 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis2.06 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Fmc-West Glendale2.45 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis3.15 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Huntington Dialysis Center3.81 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena3.87 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis3.88 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818