Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Hampton, Virginia. This nursing home was awarded an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a lower end score. At the end of the day, we'd struggle to recommend this facility. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection grade. You can scroll down to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to point out its nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A- in this category. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more impressive category grades was in the area of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B. It actually outperformed most facilities in this area. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 95.595856 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center?
This facility's next best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. Our nursing score is based on a handful of datapoints, but the primary one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This figure is significantly below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed is short-term care. Sadly, it received an abysmal F in this category, which is a rock bottom score. Our short-term care ratings are believed to be most meaningful for individuals needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally requires additional skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. With its grade in this category, we weren't surprised to find that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the measures we looked at. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term care patients that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term care residents which are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 3.63% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 91.12% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Coliseum Convalescent and Rehabilitation Center, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Hampton, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Hampton, Virginia has 3 other nursing homes
- Sentara Careplex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.51 miles away3000 Coliseum Drive Hampton Virginia 23666Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 736-1000
- Riverside Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away500 J Clyde Morris Blvd Newport News Virginia 23601Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 594-2000
- Mary Immaculate HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.96 miles away2 Bernardine Drive Newport News Virginia 23602Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 886-6000
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.15 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 13.98 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.04 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.04 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 15.12 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Butler Farm Dialysis1.03 miles away501 a Butler Farm Rd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 766-1921
- Rai - Mercury Blvd-Hampton1.75 miles away3319 West Mercury Blvd Hampton Virginia 23666CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 826-1795
- Langley Dialysis2.51 miles away5 W. Mercury Boulevard Hampton Virginia 23669CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (757) 723-4620
- Davita - Newport News3.39 miles away711 79th Street Newport News Virginia 23605CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (757) 245-8090
- Jefferson Avenue Dialysis3.89 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Newport News Virginia 23601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 595-6167
- Zara Dialysis LLC3.89 miles away11234 Jefferson Ave Ste B Newport News Virginia 23601Dialysis Stations: 8 (757) 595-5469
- Rai - Thimble Shoals-Newport News4.35 miles away739 Thimble Shoals Blvd Ste 600 Newport News Virginia 23606CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 873-1090
- Rai - Chesapeake-Newport News4.51 miles away225 Chesapeake Avenue Newport News Virginia 23607Dialysis Stations: 10 (757) 247-4080