Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab is a nursing home in Woodbury, New York. The city has a total of 9,041 people. This facility was given an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. At the end of the day, this facility is a solid choice for quite a few people. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its relatively modest overall score, we gave this nursing home an A- for its inspection grade. This grade is far better than the facility's overall grade. Inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. This facility was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's short-term care grade turns out to be one of its better features. The facility was awarded a grade of B- in this area. In the category of short-term care, we try to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The tricky part is determining what effect this had on quality of care. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received its third highest category grade in the category of long-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of C in this area, which is a respectable score. Long-term care ratings are based in part on a facility's amount of care. This means a vast range of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated a relatively low 82.52007 percent of its patients. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The next area we scored was nursing, turned out to be this facility's weakest area. We gave this facility a D in that area. Our nursing score features several factors. The most heavily weighted variable is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 13.2% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 91.26% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cold Spring Hills Center for Nursing and Rehab, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.59 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.3 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 9.59 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Davita Crossways Park Dialysis1.44 miles away113 Crossways Park Dr Suite 102 Woodbury New York 11797Dialysis Stations: 17 (516) 921-0914
- Davita Huntington on Broadway Dialysis3.67 miles away256 Broadway Huntington Station New York 11746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 423-4320
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.3.67 miles away33 Walt Whitman Road Huntington Station New York 11746Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 547-4150
- Huntington Hospital4.71 miles away270 Park Avenue Dialysis Unit Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 7 (631) 351-2471
- Carillon Dialysis LLC4.8 miles away830 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Dialysis Stations: 8 (631) 630-0398
- Davita Oyster Bay Dialysis4.96 miles away17 E Old Country Road Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (516) 681-2786
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.5.57 miles away760 South Broadway Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 827-1370
- Nyu Langone Hospitals6.17 miles away530 Hicksville Road The Dialysis Center @ Bethpage Bethpage New York 11714CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (516) 663-4980