Cobble Hill Health Center is a very-large non-profit nursing home located in Brooklyn, New York. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B, which is favorable rating. Based on our ratings, this place has quite a bit going for it. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong report card was its inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph
Cobble Hill Health Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
380 Henry Street,
Brooklyn NY 11201
78.02% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, this place especially excelled in our inspections category, where it received a grade of A+. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. Our inspection ratings are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this category have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was given favorable short-term care scores this year. Indeed, we awarded it one of our higher scores in that category, with a score of B+. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. When we assessed this facility's nursing hours, we found it offered more care from registered nurses than most nursing homes. The last item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. This place performed as well as just about any nursing home in New York with 66.3 percent of its patients returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Cobble Hill Health Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a favorable long-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our better grades in that category with a score of B. For residents seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. After looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 92.39351 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which happens to be a few points below what we were hoping for but still a respectable percentage. Fortunately, this nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 1.15 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a substantially lower hospitalization rate than the majority of nursing homes.
The final area we scored was nursing, is this facility's worst category. We awarded this facility a D in that category. This was one of the few weak points of a quality report card. We scrutinized the levels of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the number of hours the nurses were with residents, in determining our rating in this area. This facility provided 3.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is below the national average. Although this facility didn't excel in the area of nursing hours, it actually surprised us in some of the quality-based metrics in the nursing category, such as avoiding major falls. This place was better than average in this metric, which was one redeeming quality we found in this area.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cobble Hill Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients who were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 13.02% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 92.45% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical health.
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cobble Hill Health Center, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Brooklyn, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Brooklyn, New York has 34 other nursing homes
- Brooklyn Hospital Center - Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.04 miles away121 Dekalb Avenue Brooklyn New York 11201Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 250-8000
- New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.68 miles away506 Sixth Street Brooklyn New York 11215Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 780-3000
- Woodhull Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away760 Broadway Brooklyn New York 11206Government - Local(718) 963-8100
- Mount Sinai Beth IsraelAcute Care Hospitals 3.21 miles awayFirst Avenue at 16th Street New York New York 10003Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 420-2000
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.45 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Kings County Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.55 miles away451 Clarkson Avenue Brooklyn New York 11203Government - Local(718) 245-3901
- University Hospital of Brooklyn ( Downstate )Acute Care Hospitals 3.56 miles away445 Lenox Road Brooklyn New York 11203Government - State(718) 270-1000
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.0.93 miles away595 Degraw Street Brooklyn New York 11217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 49 (718) 852-0197
- Brooklyn Hospital Center Ii0.95 miles away19 Rockwell Pl Dialysis Unit Brooklyn New York 11217CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 260-2722
- Brooklyn Hospital Center1.03 miles away121 Dekalb Avenue Dialysis Unit-2w Brooklyn New York 11201Dialysis Stations: 10 (718) 250-8160
- Fms-Nephro Care West1.17 miles away358-362 4th Ave Brooklyn New York 11215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 858-6675
- Rogosin Kidney Center - Bklyn1.73 miles away506 6th St Buckley 7 - Dialysis Brooklyn New York 11215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (718) 780-5800
- Brooklyn Dialysis Center LLC2.06 miles away915 Dean Street Brooklyn New York 11238CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (347) 915-2140
- Chinatown Dialysis Center Inc2.12 miles away213 Hester St. 2nd Floor New York New York 10013CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 45 (212) 925-0404
- Knickerbocker Dialysis Inc.2.38 miles away1275 Bedford Avenue Brooklyn New York 11216CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (718) 623-0633