Coast Care Convalescent Center is a small nursing home located in Baldwin Park, California. This is a quality facility with a B overall. This was right in line with the city grade in Baldwin Park. In our view, this place is a good fit for quite a few people. We were also pleased to find that this place did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Coast Care Convalescent Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this facility also received a grade of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this area. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 97.10145 percent of its residents. This is a reliable method to minimize unnecessary deaths for the aged 65 and up population. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Coast Care Convalescent Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. This wasn't quite on par with some of its other category grades mentioned above. When determining a nursing home's nursing grade, we consider the amount of time nurses spend with residents as well as the level of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, although this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in some of our quality measures. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this subcategory.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our fourth area, this facility was given a C in short-term care, which is generally a respectable score. In crafting these short-term care grades, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to create a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. We were not able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this place. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Coast Care Convalescent Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who maintained mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental health.
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Scores for Baldwin Park, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Baldwin Park, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.45 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.51 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.57 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 9.93 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Advanced Dialysis Center0.42 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Fmc-Irwindale1.66 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center1.74 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center1.86 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.2.2 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245
- La Puente Dialysis Center, Inc.3.56 miles away14557 Temple Avenue La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 917-1719
- Azusa Dialysis Center, LLC3.75 miles away312 N. Azusa Avenue Azusa California 91702Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 633-1500
- Citrus Dialysis Center3.79 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133