Coast Care Convalescent Center is a small nursing home located in Baldwin Park, California. This facility received a grade of B overall. We found this nursing home to be better than most of the facilities in Baldwin Park, which has a city grade of B-. In our view, this nursing home is a solid choice for most people. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Coast Care Convalescent Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A few minor dings are not necessarily something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded impressive scores in the area of long-term care as well. In fact, it received one of our most favorable scores in that area with a area of A-. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are well cared for. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.25926 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Coast Care Convalescent Center?
This facility's next best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. While this didn't quite match its scores in some of the categories discussed above, this is still a decent score. Nursing grades are mostly tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This place averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is well below average. Lastly, our nursing ratings also consider quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the final area, this facility did not fare very well. Due to a very poor grade of F in this category, this was clearly this nursing home's poorest grade. Short-term care ratings are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. It appears that this place was subpar in several staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final measure we considered in this area is the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 2.1 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Coast Care Convalescent Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression. Many believe this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Coast Care Convalescent Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Baldwin Park, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Baldwin Park, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 5.69 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.45 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.51 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.57 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 9.93 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Advanced Dialysis Center0.42 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Fmc-Irwindale1.66 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center1.74 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center1.86 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.2.2 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245
- La Puente Dialysis Center, Inc.3.56 miles away14557 Temple Avenue La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 917-1719
- Azusa Dialysis Center, LLC3.75 miles away312 N. Azusa Avenue Azusa California 91702Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 633-1500
- Citrus Dialysis Center3.79 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133