Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center is a very-large nursing home located in Staten Island, New York. We gave this facility a C overall, which is not a bad grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Staten Island, which is a B-. Based on our analysis, there are certainly much worse nursing homes out there. One of the best aspects of this facility's profile is its exemplary inspection rating, which we will address in the next section.
Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall score, we awarded this facility a grade of A+ for its inspection grade. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall grade. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also wanted to note that this nursing home was awarded impressive long-term care marks this year. We gave them one of our higher grades in this category, with a B. This turned out to be the nursing home's second highest grade. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 86.28405 percent of its residents. This is slightly below what we expected but still a decent figure. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest category is short-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a C. With our short-term care grade, we strive to create a valuable gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at the nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average facility. The last statistic we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 5.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Turning to our final category, this facility didn't fare well. With a rock bottom grade of F in nursing, this was this nursing home's weakest grade. There are a host of subcategories within this grade. Most of the subcategories are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay patients that were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 13.6% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 91.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Staten Island, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Staten Island, New York has 9 other nursing homes
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.11 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.48 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.87 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.26 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.46 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.55 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- Island Rehabilitative Services-Clove Lakes Extension0.03 miles away25 Fanning Street Staten Island New York 10314Dialysis Stations: 8 (347) 671-8399
- Davita Richmond Kidney at Home0.85 miles away1366 Victory Boulevard Staten Island New York 10301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 816-6200
- Carol Molinaro Dialysis Center1.64 miles away800 Castleton Avenue Suite G Staten Island New York 10310CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (718) 816-6455
- Staten Island Dialysis Clinic/ Akc1.93 miles away1550 Richmond Ave. Suite 101 Staten Island New York 10314CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 983-7000
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc2.29 miles away1139 Hylan Blvd Staten Island New York 10305Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 816-4913
- Island Rehabilitative Services, Inc.2.49 miles away470 Seaview Avenue Dialysis Unit Staten Island New York 10305CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 987-5942
- Fkc Bayonne3.67 miles awayDialysis Unit 29 East 29th Street Bayonne New Jersey 07002Dialysis Stations: 14 (201) 858-5358
- Davita Renal Center Bayonne3.77 miles away434-436 Broadway Bayonne New Jersey 07002Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 436-1664