Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center is a very-large nursing home located in Staten Island, New York. This facility was given an overall grade of C, which is a solid grade. Based on our assessment, there are definitely far worse facilities out there. One of the best aspects of this facility's report card is its exemplary inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Staten Island senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility really outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in this category with a grade of A. Our inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this area tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's better category grades was in the area of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 61.37993 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be somewhat less than we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we assessed was short-term care. This facility's received a low-end short-term care grade where it was given an F. Our short-term care scores are vital for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. With a grade this poor for this category, we were not stunned to learn that this nursing home was well below average in multiple staffing figures we focus on. It offered substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
The next area we graded was nursing, which turned out to be this nursing home's least impressive area. We gave it a lowly F in this category, which is obviously a major disappointment. When determining a nursing home's nursing grade, we assess the number of hours nurses commit to residents and the levels of training of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 13.85% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 3.23% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 2.35% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who suffered from a UTI. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 10.73% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 22.52% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 59.75% of Patients
This is the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 77.13% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 12.21% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 16.63% of Residents
This is the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 16.63% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 7.69% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Clove Lakes Health Care and Rehab Center, 93.95% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Staten Island, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Staten Island, New York has 3 other nursing homes
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.11 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.48 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.87 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.26 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.46 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Jersey City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.55 miles away355 Grand Street Jersey City New Jersey 07302Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 915-2000
- Island Rehabilitative Services-Clove Lakes Extension0.03 miles away25 Fanning Street Staten Island New York 10314Dialysis Stations: 8 (347) 671-8399
- Davita Richmond Kidney at Home0.85 miles away1366 Victory Boulevard Staten Island New York 10301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 816-6200
- Carol Molinaro Dialysis Center1.64 miles away800 Castleton Avenue Suite G Staten Island New York 10310CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (718) 816-6455
- Staten Island Dialysis Clinic/ Akc1.93 miles away1550 Richmond Ave. Suite 101 Staten Island New York 10314CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 983-7000
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc2.29 miles away1139 Hylan Blvd Staten Island New York 10305Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 816-4913
- Island Rehabilitative Services, Inc.2.49 miles away470 Seaview Avenue Dialysis Unit Staten Island New York 10305CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 987-5942
- Fkc Bayonne3.67 miles awayDialysis Unit 29 East 29th Street Bayonne New Jersey 07002Dialysis Stations: 14 (201) 858-5358
- Davita Renal Center Bayonne3.77 miles away434-436 Broadway Bayonne New Jersey 07002Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 436-1664