Clifton Care Center is a large nursing home located in Cincinnati, Ohio. With an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a bottom of the barrel nursing home. Based on our assessment, you'd be better off to steer clear of this facility. If you aren't deterred by this place's profile, you can continue reading to learn more about its category scores. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Clifton Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Cincinnati senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it fared pretty well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection ratings are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid facilities with severe deficiencies associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's second highest category was long-term care. However, with a grade of D in this category, it still performed relatively badly. Long-term care ratings in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. One of the factors we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to only 79.06977 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Clifton Care Center?
This facility's next best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. Nursing ratings are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This facility averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This place fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we rated was short-term care. We gave it an F for this category, which is a bottom of the barrel score. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. With its score in this area, we were not stunned to learn that this nursing home is well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the measures we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics doomed this facility's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Clifton Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Clifton Care Center, 3.13% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Clifton Care Center, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients that have suffered falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Clifton Care Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Clifton Care Center, 5.58% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Clifton Care Center, 21.76% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Clifton Care Center, 51.94% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Clifton Care Center, 81.14% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Clifton Care Center, 22.4% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Clifton Care Center, 4.89% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Clifton Care Center, 4.89% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Clifton Care Center, 11.63% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Clifton Care Center, 88.96% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Cincinnati, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cincinnati, Ohio has 33 other nursing homes
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.51 miles away375 Dixmyth Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45220Voluntary non-profit - Church(513) 862-2646
- University of Cincinnati Medical Center, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.36 miles away234 Goodman Street Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 584-1000
- Christ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.38 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 585-2000
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical CenterChildrens 1.53 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45229Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 636-3333
- Mercy Health - West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.8 miles away3300 Mercy Health Blvd Cincinnati Ohio 45211Voluntary non-profit - Private(513) 215-5000
- St Elizabeth Ft ThomasAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away85 North Grand Avenue Fort Thomas Kentucky 41075Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 572-3100
- St Elizabeth Medical Center NorthAcute Care Hospitals 8.53 miles away1 Medical Village Drive Ft Mitchell Kentucky 41017Voluntary non-profit - Church(859) 301-2000
- St Elizabeth FlorenceAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away4900 Houston Road Florence Kentucky 41042Voluntary non-profit - Private(859) 212-5220
- Davita - Christ Hospital1.31 miles away2139 Auburn Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45219Dialysis Stations: 15 (513) 585-0314
- Cincinnati Childrens Hospital Med Ctr1.53 miles away3333 Burnet Avenue, Unit - Mlc 7022 Cincinnati Ohio 45229Dialysis Stations: 7 (513) 636-4443
- Dci - Cincinnati1.67 miles away499 East Mcmillan Street Cincinnati Ohio 45206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (513) 281-0091
- Davita - Mt Auburn Dialysis1.75 miles away2109 Reading Road Cincinnati Ohio 45202Dialysis Stations: 28 (513) 784-1800
- Us Renal Care of Norwood Dialysis3.87 miles away1721 Tennessee Ave. Cincinnati Ohio 45229Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 242-6733
- Fmc - Liberty Norwood4.15 miles away2071 Sherman Avenue Cincinnati Ohio 45212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (513) 841-1800
- Davita - 12th St. Covington Dialysis4.17 miles away1500 James Simpson Jr. Way, Ste. 1100 Covington Kentucky 41011Dialysis Stations: 17 (859) 261-4345
- Davita - Delhi Dialysis4.32 miles away5040 Delhi Pike Cincinnati Ohio 45238CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (513) 922-5900