Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center is located in Flushing, New York. This facility was given an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. Even in a city offering 11 nursing homes, this one ought to be a fine selection. The best part of this nursing home's report card is its remarkable inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Contracted Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its relatively modest overall grade, we awarded this facility a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. This grade is far better than the facility's overall score. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we gave this facility a B+ in our long-term care category. This happens to be one of our more favorable grades. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 90.90909 percent of its residents. This is a bit less than we expected but still a decent percentage. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center?
This facility received a strong nursing grade as well. It earned one of our higher grades in that category with a F. Our nursing grade weighs several factors. The most important variable is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This place averaged just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is well below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our last area, this nursing home did not fare well. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in short-term care, this is its worst grade. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents who have sustained a UTI. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 13.6% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. High levels of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 91.89% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cliffside Rehab & Residential Health Care Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Flushing, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Flushing, New York has 10 other nursing homes
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.12 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.96 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.86 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- Metropolitan Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5 miles away1901 First Avenue New York New York 10029Government - Local(212) 423-6262
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.37 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Harlem Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.49 miles away506 Lenox Avenue New York New York 10037Government - Local(212) 939-1000
- Crd Associates LLC Cliffside Nursing Home0.05 miles away119-19 Graham Court Att: Dialysis Center Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 886-0700
- Queens Dialysis at the Pavilion, LLC1.45 miles away36-17 Parsons Blvd Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 888-5200
- The Ny Hosp Med Ctr of Queens2.25 miles away56-45 Main Street 8th Floor Hemodialysis Unit Flushing New York 11355Dialysis Stations: 4 (718) 670-1258
- Fms-Queens Artificial Kidney Center2.32 miles away34-35 70th Street Jackson Heights New York 11372CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (718) 651-9700
- The Rogosin Institute Auburndale Dialysis2.93 miles away39-20 Utopia Parkway Flushing New York 11358CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (347) 783-7700
- Broadway Dialysis Center at Elmhurst Hospital Center3.13 miles away79-01 Broadway D-7 Wing Elmhurst New York 11373CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 205-7772
- Rogosin Institute-Queens3.36 miles away66-20 Queens Boulevard Dialysis Ctr. Woodside New York 11377CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (646) 317-7505
- Fms-Bayside Dialysis Center3.59 miles away201-10 Northern Boulevard Bayside New York 11361CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 423-6638