Clarewood House Extended Care Center is a small non-profit facility in Houston, Texas. This facility received a grade of B overall. We found it to be better than the majority of the facilities in Houston, which has a city grade of B-. Even with Houston offering 25 other nursing homes to select from, this facility should be a sound option. The best part of this facility's impressive profile was its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Clarewood House Extended Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its favorable overall performance, we gave this place a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among this nursing home's other accomplishments is its high-end long-term care score. We gave them one of our better scores in that category, with a grade of A-. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Clarewood House Extended Care Center?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. This wasn't quite as good as some of its other scores, but a grade in this range is not the end of the world. The nursing score weighs a host of subcategories. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily, which is not an impressive total. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics. Although this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in some of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared well in this area. This is typically an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving patients even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we rated is short-term care, proved to be this facility's worst category. We awarded this facility a grade of D in this area. This really was one of just a couple of weak points of an otherwise strong profile. Our short-term care grades are important for residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. In this nursing home's case, we found that it provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last measure we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.7 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Clarewood House Extended Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents that have had urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 4.84% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some believe this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 93.69% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that retained mobility levels. Some experts believe that mobility is critical to patients mental and physical health.
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 1.89 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 24 other nursing homes
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.19 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Texas Orthopedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.38 miles away7401 South Main Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Other(713) 799-8600
- Texas Childrens HospChildrens 6.85 miles away6621 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 824-1000
- Sun Behavioral HoustonPsychiatric 6.92 miles away7601 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 795-5025
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Womans Hospital of Texas,TheAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away7600 Fannin Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 790-1234
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Fresenius Medical Care Fondren0.69 miles away7011 Regency Square Blvd Houston Texas 77036CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 782-1810
- Sng - Hillcroft Dialysis Center1.13 miles away6015 Hillcroft, Suite 3000 Houston Texas 77081Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 772-0992
- Pharis Dialysis, LLC1.22 miles away8486 Bellaire Blvd. Houston Texas 77036Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 774-0309
- Sng Bellaire Dialysis Center Lp1.63 miles away7243 Bissonnet Street Suite A Houston Texas 77074Dialysis Stations: 13 (713) 988-7200
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc.1.81 miles away8700 S Gessner Suite 300 Houston Texas 77074Dialysis Stations: 25 (713) 988-1137
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeast, Lp1.89 miles away5920 Renwick Dr Ste A Houston Texas 77081Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 660-0073
- Beechnut Dialysis2.12 miles away8325 Beechnut Houston Texas 77036Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 772-5228
- Dsi Chinatown Hemodialysis, LLC2.51 miles away7329 W Houston Parkway S, Suite 101b Houston Texas 77072Dialysis Stations: 13 (713) 773-2124