Clarewood House Extended Care Center is a small non-profit facility in Houston, Texas. This is a good nursing home with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Houston. Even with Houston offering 60 other nursing homes available, this one looks like a fine selection. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's profile is its exemplary inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
Clarewood House Extended Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Texas Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our higher grades in that area, with a grade of A+. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but certainly not elite. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to another strength for this nursing home, we gave it a superb long-term care grade. In fact, we awarded this nursing home a score of A. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Clarewood House Extended Care Center?
Another strength of this nursing home is its favorable grade in nursing. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an impressive grade of D. We analyzed the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses were with patients, in determining our grade in this category. This place averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This facility performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's weakest area is short-term care, which is the last category we assessed. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F for this area. In spite of multiple acceptable grades in other categories, this score is nevertheless concerning so we would like to to make a note of it. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To offer quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who ultimately returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Clarewood House Extended Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients which suffer from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 4.81% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression could be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 94.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Clarewood House Extended Care Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 5.04 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.19 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Texas Orthopedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.38 miles away7401 South Main Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Other(713) 799-8600
- Texas Childrens HospChildrens 6.85 miles away6621 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 824-1000
- Sun Behavioral HoustonPsychiatric 6.92 miles away7601 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 795-5025
- Houston Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away6565 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 790-2221
- Womans Hospital of Texas,TheAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away7600 Fannin Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 790-1234
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Fresenius Medical Care Fondren0.69 miles away7011 Regency Square Blvd Houston Texas 77036CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 782-1810
- Sng - Hillcroft Dialysis Center1.13 miles away6015 Hillcroft, Suite 3000 Houston Texas 77081Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 772-0992
- Pharis Dialysis, LLC1.22 miles away8486 Bellaire Blvd. Houston Texas 77036Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 774-0309
- Sng Bellaire Dialysis Center Lp1.63 miles away7243 Bissonnet Street Suite A Houston Texas 77074Dialysis Stations: 13 (713) 988-7200
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc.1.81 miles away8700 S Gessner Suite 300 Houston Texas 77074Dialysis Stations: 25 (713) 988-1137
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeast, Lp1.89 miles away5920 Renwick Dr Ste A Houston Texas 77081Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 660-0073
- Beechnut Dialysis2.12 miles away8325 Beechnut Houston Texas 77036Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 772-5228
- Dsi Chinatown Hemodialysis, LLC2.51 miles away7329 W Houston Parkway S, Suite 101b Houston Texas 77072Dialysis Stations: 13 (713) 773-2124