Clara Manor Nursing Home is located in Kansas City, Missouri, which is among the largest cities in the nation. Sporting an overall grade of D, this is a well below average facility. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 19 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong short-term care score. You can continue reading to find out about short-term care and other category scores
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Clara Manor Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Kansas City senior living options.Get Pricing
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Short-term Care Quality
While we were not high on this facility overall, we awarded it a B for our short-term care grade. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be more important for patients requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically utilizes more highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. We weren't able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. This turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this nursing home an B. Nursing grades are largely based on the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of turning patients more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Clara Manor Nursing Home?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second lowest category was long-term care, where it earned just a D in that area. This is a well below average grade. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 98.66221 percent of its residents, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
The final category we looked at was inspections. Unfortunately, this ended up being this facility's weakest link. We gave it a score of D in this area. Since this information is collected by government inspectors, we weight it heavily in our overall grade. Our inspection scores factor in many items found on the facility's inspection reports. When you find too many deficiencies on the inspection reports, this is typically the worst sign. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This particular nursing home had 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 7 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Clara Manor Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Clara Manor Nursing Home, 9.2% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Clara Manor Nursing Home, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Clara Manor Nursing Home, 3.29% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Clara Manor Nursing Home, 20.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Clara Manor Nursing Home, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Clara Manor Nursing Home, 5.4% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Clara Manor Nursing Home, 86.07% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Clara Manor Nursing Home, 15.8% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Clara Manor Nursing Home, 13.34% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Clara Manor Nursing Home, 13.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Scores for Kansas City, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Missouri has 18 other nursing homes
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 1.12 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 1.5 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Truman Medical Center Hospital HillAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away2301 Holmes Street Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-1000
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.97 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- North Kansas City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.41 miles away2800 Clay Edwards Drive Kansas City Missouri 64116Government - Local(816) 691-2000
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 7.43 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.85 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Davita - Westport Renal Center0.57 miles away3947 Broadway Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 531-1181
- Davita Mission Dialysis1.43 miles away2852 W 47th Ave Kansas City Kansas 66103Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 403-1843
- Childrens Mercy Hospital Dialysis1.52 miles away2401 Gillham Rd Kansas City Missouri 64108Dialysis Stations: 10 (816) 234-3100
- Penn Valley Dialysis Center1.59 miles away2502 Summit Kansas City Missouri 64108Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 531-1118
- Rai - Rainbow Blvd - Westwood2.01 miles away4720 Rainbow Blvd Suite 200 Mission Kansas 66205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (913) 403-0441
- Home Dialysis Services Kc Midtown LLC2.18 miles away1728 Holmes St Kansas City Missouri 64108Dialysis Stations: 6 (816) 381-6167
- Swope Dialysis3.32 miles away4407 East 50th Terrace Kansas City Missouri 64130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (816) 924-1201
- Kansas City Dialysis & Transplant Center3.97 miles away2340 E Meyer Blvd Building 1, Suite #100 Kansas City Missouri 64132CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (816) 444-2098