Clara Baldwin Stocker Home is one of five available nursing homes located in West Covina, California. With a abysmal overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. West Covina received a city grade of C, so there are some other options in the city worth looking at. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Clara Baldwin Stocker Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of C. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were category G through L deficiencies. This indicates it dodged the more serious categories of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received some government fines in recent years.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to point out this nursing home's rock-bottom short-term care score where it was given an F. Short-term care grades are meaningful for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Based on its grade in this area, we were not stunned to find that this facility is well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the measures we looked at. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics sunk this facility's short-term care grade.
Does this page answer your questions about Clara Baldwin Stocker Home?
Long-term Care Quality
Tragically, this facility received an F for its long-term care score. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable percentage. Surprisingly, this facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
The final area we scored is nursing. This nursing home received a very poor grade of F in this category. There are many factors within this grade. Many of the factors relate to nurse staffing. This particular place offered just 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This statistic is quite a bit below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This place performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these data points to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Clara Baldwin Stocker Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term care patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who are showing signs of depression. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 95.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for West Covina, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? West Covina, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.46 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 8.34 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center0.93 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center1 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.1.19 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245
- Advanced Dialysis Center2.32 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina2.42 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522
- Citrus Dialysis Center2.45 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Industry2.62 miles away15757 E. Valley Blvd. La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (626) 333-3801
- La Puente Dialysis Center, Inc.2.92 miles away14557 Temple Avenue La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 917-1719