Clara Baldwin Stocker Home is one of just a few available nursing homes located in West Covina, California. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A grade of this caliber requires some decent scores. This grade was right in line with the city grade in West Covina, which admittedly is admittedly a little below average nationally. This nursing home didn't meet our expectations in every category we looked at, but it didn't receive any terrible grades either. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Clara Baldwin Stocker Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on West Covina senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in West Covina, California Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's nursing rating is notably better than its overall score. Due to a strong performance in this area, it received a quality score in nursing with a grade of B+. The nursing rating features numerous factors. The most important factor is the number of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of turning a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities next most favorable category is long-term care. We awarded it a B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the pack grade in this category. For patients looking for a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Clara Baldwin Stocker Home?
This nursing home received its third best score in the area of inspections. Inspection grades are based on a facility's recent government inspection reports. We gave this facility a C in this area. Our inspection ratings are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This nursing home had 3 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were in categories G through L. This tells you that it avoided the more serious classes of deficiencies. We did not find anything on this nursing home's inspection reports to be overly alarming.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the final area, we gave this nursing home a grade of D for our short-term care category. This was the facility's worst category grade. In our short-term care grade, we try to forge a meaningful measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. As you might expect, we learned that this nursing home offers far less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than a typical facility. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.7 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Clara Baldwin Stocker Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that have had falls leading to major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who experienced urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 5.83% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many would argue that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 95.65% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of decline of a resident's well-being.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.46 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 8.34 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center0.93 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center1 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.1.19 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245
- Advanced Dialysis Center2.32 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina2.42 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522
- Citrus Dialysis Center2.45 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Industry2.62 miles away15757 E. Valley Blvd. La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (626) 333-3801
- La Puente Dialysis Center, Inc.2.92 miles away14557 Temple Avenue La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 917-1719