Clara Baldwin Stocker Home is one of five available nursing homes located in West Covina, California. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of C. A score of this caliber requires some decent scores. This grade is not too far off the city grade for West Covina, which is a B-. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home was consistent in each of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Clara Baldwin Stocker Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Best Nursing Home in West Covina, California Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a nursing score which is stronger than its overall score. We gave this nursing home an above average grade of B+ in this area. Our nursing grade weighs several subcategories, however, the paramount consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving residents even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's long-term care grade appears to be one of its better features. The facility received a grade of B- in this area. For residents in need of a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. Once we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This facility also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Clara Baldwin Stocker Home?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable area was short-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in this area. This is basically a middle of the road score in this area. In determining our short-term care grades, we scrutinize the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. This rating is considered to be a reliable assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. We found that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The last measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
The last area we looked at is inspections. Inspection grades are based on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. This facility received a C in this category. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 3 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but fortunately none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This means that inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent danger to resident safety or health. We did not find anything on this place's inspection reports to be overly alarming.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Clara Baldwin Stocker Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percent of long-term stay residents that have had falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Clara Baldwin Stocker Home, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for West Covina, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? West Covina, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.46 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 8.34 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.04 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Fmc-West Covina Kidney Center0.93 miles away1540 W. Covina Parkway West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 337-8007
- Davita-Covina Dialysis Center1 miles away1547 W. Garvey Avenue North West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 960-9404
- Queens Dialysis Unit, Inc.1.19 miles away1135 S. Sunset Avenue, Suite 103 West Covina California 91790CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 337-4245
- Advanced Dialysis Center2.32 miles away3932 Downing Avenue Baldwin Park California 91706Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 856-3333
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina2.42 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522
- Citrus Dialysis Center2.45 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Industry2.62 miles away15757 E. Valley Blvd. La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (626) 333-3801
- La Puente Dialysis Center, Inc.2.92 miles away14557 Temple Avenue La Puente California 91744CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 917-1719