Citadel Care Center-Elgin is an average-sized facility located in Elgin, Illinois. We gave this nursing home a B- overall, which is a solid grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Elgin, which is a B. Based on our assessment, there are certainly far worse facilities out there. We were also pleased to discover that this place was consistent in all four of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Citadel Care Center-Elgin
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Citadel Care Center-Elgin has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned an elite inspection grade. Its inspection grade was far better than its overall score. In the inspections category, we gave this facility an A. Inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category tend to have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 10 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that category, we awarded this facility an B. Our nursing rating focuses on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of skill of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Citadel Care Center-Elgin?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable area is short-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B-. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Our final area is long-term care, in which we gave this nursing home a C in that area. In calculating our long-term care ratings, we analyze the assistance with daily living offered to the facility's residents. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 94.71545 percent of its residents. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Citadel Care Center-Elgin Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients who are given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who are given antianxiety medication. These medications are generally given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 29.8% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 87.49% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Citadel Care Center-Elgin, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Elgin, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Elgin, Illinois has 7 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 2.27 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.6 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 6.92 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Delnor Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.48 miles away300 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 208-3000
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.47 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.67 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 13.91 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Davita - Cobblestone Dialysis1.61 miles away836 Dundee Ave. Elgin Illinois 60120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 888-9386
- Fkc - Elgin2.73 miles away770 N Mclean Boulevard South Elgin Illinois 60177Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 695-5345
- Dialysis Care Center - Elgin3.17 miles away995 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Dialysis Stations: 14 (815) 714-7171
- Fmc - of Elgin4.05 miles away2130 Point Blvd. Suite 800 Elgin Illinois 60123CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (847) 428-3605
- Davita - Silverbridge Home Training4.11 miles away2410 Alft Lane, Ste 101 Elgin Illinois 60124Dialysis Stations: 4 (847) 289-5628
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis4.58 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Ara - South Barrington Dialysis Center6.48 miles away33 W Higgins Road, Suites 920-945 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 783-4700
- Davita - Carpentersville6.6 miles away2203 Randall Rd Carpentersville Illinois 60110CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (847) 426-6456