Crescent Care Elgin is an average-sized facility located in Elgin, Illinois. We gave this nursing home a C overall, which is not a bad grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Elgin, which is a B-. Based on our assessment, there are certainly far worse facilities out there. We were also pleased to discover that this place was consistent in all four of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Crescent Care Elgin
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned an elite inspection grade. Its inspection grade was far better than its overall score. In the inspections category, we gave this facility an A. Inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category tend to have few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 10 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
The second most favorable category we gave this facility in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of B-. With our short-term care rating, we try to forge a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Crescent Care Elgin?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a middle of the road grade in the area of long-term care, with a grade of C. Our long-term care grade is typically used to judge a nursing home's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services provided by a skilled nursing facility. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 94.60581 percent of its patients for pneumonia. This facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last area we rated is nursing. We awarded it a grade of C in this area. This is a decent grade in this area. Nursing ratings are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Crescent Care Elgin Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Crescent Care Elgin, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Crescent Care Elgin, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Crescent Care Elgin, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Crescent Care Elgin, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients who are given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Crescent Care Elgin, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who are given antianxiety medication. These medications are generally given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Crescent Care Elgin, 30.45% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Crescent Care Elgin, 87.4% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Crescent Care Elgin, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Crescent Care Elgin, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Crescent Care Elgin, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Crescent Care Elgin, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Crescent Care Elgin, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Crescent Care Elgin, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Elgin, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Elgin, Illinois has 7 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 2.27 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.6 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 6.92 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Delnor Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.48 miles away300 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 208-3000
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.47 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.67 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 13.91 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Davita - Cobblestone Dialysis1.61 miles away836 Dundee Ave. Elgin Illinois 60120CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 888-9386
- Fkc - Elgin2.73 miles away770 N Mclean Boulevard South Elgin Illinois 60177Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 695-5345
- Dialysis Care Center - Elgin3.17 miles away995 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Dialysis Stations: 14 (815) 714-7171
- Fmc - of Elgin4.05 miles away2130 Point Blvd. Suite 800 Elgin Illinois 60123CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (847) 428-3605
- Davita - Silverbridge Home Training4.11 miles away2410 Alft Lane, Ste 101 Elgin Illinois 60124Dialysis Stations: 4 (847) 289-5628
- Usrc - Streamwood Dialysis4.58 miles away149 Irving Park Streamwood Illinois 60107Dialysis Stations: 13 (630) 289-2104
- Ara - South Barrington Dialysis Center6.48 miles away33 W Higgins Road, Suites 920-945 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 783-4700
- Davita - Carpentersville6.6 miles away2203 Randall Rd Carpentersville Illinois 60110CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (847) 426-6456