Christopher House of Worcester is a facility located in Worcester, Massachusetts, a city with 181,315 people. With an overall score of A, this is undoubtedly a phenomenal facility. As a matter of fact, this is substantially better than most of the facilities in Worcester. As you can see below, this place performed equally well in our category grades. We gave it a straight A report card!
Christopher House of Worcester
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this ended up being a great nursing home is that it received an impressive inspection grade. In fact, inspections turned out to be its best category. In this area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A. Arguably the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate resume, this facility also was given a dominant long-term care grade, with a grade of A. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. Once we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 95.758934 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia can be a life threatening health condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Christopher House of Worcester?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. Our nursing grade considers numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the quantity of hours nurses spend with residents. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final category we analyzed, this nursing home was given a very strong grade of A- in our short-term care category. With this grade, the nursing home finished off a straight A report card. Our short-term care ratings are arguably more important for patients requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this area is the number of patients that returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Christopher House of Worcester Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Christopher House of Worcester, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents which developed pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Christopher House of Worcester, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care patients who have experienced falls which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Christopher House of Worcester, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Christopher House of Worcester, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Christopher House of Worcester, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Christopher House of Worcester, 1.95% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Christopher House of Worcester, 91.63% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Christopher House of Worcester, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Christopher House of Worcester, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In Christopher House of Worcester, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Christopher House of Worcester, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Christopher House of Worcester, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Christopher House of Worcester, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Worcester, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Worcester, Massachusetts has 16 other nursing homes
- Umass Memorial Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 0.97 miles away55 Lake Avenue North Worcester Massachusetts 01655Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 334-1000
- St Vincent HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.11 miles away123 Summer Street Worcester Massachusetts 01608Proprietary(508) 363-5000
- Marlborough HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.67 miles away157 Union Street Marlborough Massachusetts 01752Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 481-5000
- Milford Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.87 miles away14 Prospect Street Milford Massachusetts 01757Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 473-1190
- Metrowest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.07 miles away115 Lincoln Street Framingham Massachusetts 01701Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 383-1000
- Health Alliance - Clinton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.68 miles away60 Hospital Road Leominster Massachusetts 01453Voluntary non-profit - Other(978) 466-2000
- Harrington Memorial Hospital-1Acute Care Hospitals 19.42 miles away100 South Street Southbridge Massachusetts 01550Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 765-9771
- Davita Shrewsbury Street Dialysis0.53 miles away267 Shrewsbury Street Worcester Massachusetts 01604Dialysis Stations: 16 (774) 530-6353
- Freedom Center of Worcester0.58 miles away1 Innovation Drive Suite 110 Worcester Massachusetts 01605Dialysis Stations: 6 (508) 767-3950
- U-Mass Memorial Health Care Systems0.96 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Lake Avenue North Rm h7-331 Worcester Massachusetts 01655Dialysis Stations: 13 (774) 442-3814
- Saint Vincent's Hospital1.58 miles awayHemodialysis Unit 123 Summer St, Suite 380 Worcester Massachusetts 01608Dialysis Stations: 12 (508) 363-9460
- Davita Pdi Worcester1.61 miles away19 Glennie Street Suite A Worcester Massachusetts 01605CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (508) 421-9539
- University Dialysis Center (Bma of Shrewsbury)1.76 miles away239-243 Boston Turnpike Road Shrewsbury Massachusetts 01545Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 753-0886
- Bio-Medical Applications of Massachusetts Inc2.02 miles away867 Grafton Street Worcester Massachusetts 01604Dialysis Stations: 16 (203) 387-9332
- Auburn Health LLC6.16 miles away771 South Bridge Street Suite 1 Auburn Massachusetts 01501Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 832-3604