Christian Health Center is a facility in Louisville, Kentucky which has a total of 736,284 people. It looks like this is a very respectable facility. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a very solid grade. Based on our assessment, you can do much worse than this nursing home. This facility's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Christian Health Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
920 South Fourth Street,
Louisville KY 40203
78.77% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong nursing home overall, this nursing home excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A. Not many facilities performed better in that category. Inspection ratings are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given impressive scores in the category of long-term care as well. Consequently, it received one of our most favorable grades in that area with a area of A-. For prospective patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 80.30303 percent of its residents. This is somewhat below what we expected. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Christian Health Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also above average in the category of short-term care, where it was given a grade of B. It outperformed most facilities in this area. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to score a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to provide highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Moving on to our fourth category, this facility was awarded a C for nursing, which we consider to be a respectable grade. Our nursing score focuses on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses and the amount of time spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Christian Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Christian Health Center, 9.06% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Christian Health Center, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Christian Health Center, 2.74% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Christian Health Center, 15.92% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Christian Health Center, 28.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Christian Health Center, 8.85% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Christian Health Center, 90.04% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Christian Health Center, 15.42% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Christian Health Center, 20.17% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels. Many would argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients health.
In Christian Health Center, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Christian Health Center, 20.17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Christian Health Center, 13.78 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Christian Health Center, 72.12% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Louisville, KY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Louisville, Kentucky has 40 other nursing homes
- Norton Hospital / Norton Healthcare Pavilion / NorAcute Care Hospitals 0.68 miles away200 East Chestnut Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 629-8000
- Jewish Hospital & St Mary's HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 0.74 miles away200 Abraham Flexner Way Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 587-4011
- University of Louisville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.94 miles away530 South Jackson Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 562-3000
- Clark Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.96 miles away1220 Missouri Ave Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Voluntary non-profit - Other(812) 283-2147
- Baptist Health FloydAcute Care Hospitals 5.79 miles away1850 State St New Albany Indiana 47150Voluntary non-profit - Private(812) 944-7701
- Baptist Health LouisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away4000 Kresge Way Louisville Kentucky 40207Voluntary non-profit - Private(502) 897-8100
- Wellstone Regional HospitalPsychiatric 6.66 miles away2700 Vissing Park Rd Jeffersonville Indiana 47130Proprietary(812) 284-8000
- The Brook Hospital - KmiPsychiatric 9.23 miles away8521 Lagrange Road Louisville Kentucky 40242Government - Federal(502) 426-6380
- Davita West Broadway Dialysis0.46 miles away720 West Broadway Louisville Kentucky 40202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (502) 584-2059
- Ara - University Kidney Center 3rd Street0.47 miles away635 South 3rd Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Dialysis Stations: 16 (502) 561-1314
- American Home Dialysis0.85 miles away721 South Preston Street Louisville Kentucky 40202CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 3 (502) 584-3338
- University of Louisville Dialysis Center, LLC1.01 miles away614 East Chestnut Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Dialysis Stations: 31 (502) 589-5997
- Fmc - Louisville1.12 miles away720 East Broadway Street Louisville Kentucky 40202Dialysis Stations: 24 (502) 584-3021
- Fmc - West Louisville1.84 miles away2600 West Broadway Suite 112 Louisville Kentucky 40211Dialysis Stations: 18 (502) 772-7363
- Davita Portland Dialysis2.31 miles away2118 Portland Ave Louisville Kentucky 40212Dialysis Stations: 13 (502) 776-4371
- Fmc - Dialysis Services of Audubon2.56 miles away2355 Poplar Level Road, Suite G 2-10 Louisville Kentucky 40217Dialysis Stations: 25 (502) 637-1771