Christian Health Care Center is a very-large non-profit nursing home located in Wyckoff, New Jersey. With an overall grade of A-, this facility is ranked among the better facilities we looked at. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top quarter of all facilities in the nation. Keep reading to find this nursing home's category scores, which are also strong. It's hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Christian Health Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
301 Sicomac Ave,
Wyckoff NJ 07481
86.07% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is it received an A+ in our inspections category. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
We also want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was given a dominant score of A in our short-term care area. Our short-term care grade is typically used to measure a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This nursing home provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most facilities we looked at. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that it fared as well as just about any nursing home in New Jersey in this area with 57.7 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Christian Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at was long-term care. This nursing home was given a favorable long-term care score, with a grade of B in this area. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are kept in good health. Once we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 97.66234 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a life threatening ailment for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The final area we graded was nursing. This nursing home was awarded an impressive nursing score this year, with a grade of B. While this was not nearly as good as some of its other scores, this remains one of the stronger scores for this area. Our nursing grade analyzes quite a few data points, most of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 3.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed certain nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these metrics as good measures of the quality of nursing care offered, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Christian Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Christian Health Care Center, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Christian Health Care Center, 2.59% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care patients which have suffered a fall which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Christian Health Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Christian Health Care Center, 10.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Christian Health Care Center, 17.39% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Christian Health Care Center, 5.91% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Christian Health Care Center, 92.7% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Christian Health Care Center, 11.08% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Christian Health Care Center, 14.69% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Christian Health Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Christian Health Care Center, 14.69 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Christian Health Care Center, 8.11 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Christian Health Care Center, 81.01% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.6 miles away223 N Van Dien Avenue Ridgewood New Jersey 07450Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 447-8000
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.74 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- Chilton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away97 West Parkway Pompton Plains New Jersey 07444Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 831-5000
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 8.12 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.96 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Hackensack University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away30 Prospect Ave Hackensack New Jersey 07601Voluntary non-profit - Private(551) 996-2000
- Good Samaritan Hospital of SuffernAcute Care Hospitals 9.14 miles away255 Lafayette Avenue Suffern New York 10901Voluntary non-profit - Church(845) 368-5000
- Davita North Haledon Dialysis2.31 miles away953 Belmont Avenue Haledon New Jersey 07508Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 427-4675
- Davita Fairlawn Dialysis3.5 miles away18-01 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (201) 796-3873
- Davita Radburn Dialysis3.64 miles away15-00 Pollitt Drive Fair Lawn New Jersey 07410CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 796-1385
- Davita East Paterson4.85 miles away680 Broadway Ste 103 Paterson New Jersey 07514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 357-8079
- Ara Great Falls Dialysis, LLC5.36 miles away498 East 30th Street Paterson New Jersey 07504CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 569-0500
- St. Joseph's Paterson Dialysis5.53 miles away11 Getty Avenue 275 Hospital Plaza Paterson New Jersey 07503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 60 (973) 684-3490
- St. Joseph's Sjrmc Dialysis5.76 miles away703 Main Street r2n Paterson New Jersey 07503Dialysis Stations: 8 (973) 754-3570
- Fresenius Medical Care Paramus6.2 miles away37 West Century Road Suite 108 Paramus New Jersey 07652CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 262-0429