Christian Care Center of Memphis is in Memphis, Tennessee, which is among the largest cities in the country. We awarded this facility an overall grade of D. A grade in this range generally indicates a few red flags. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 21 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss nursing in the next section.
Christian Care Center of Memphis
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Even though we gave this nursing home a poor overall grade, we gave it a fairly respectable grade in nursing, where it received a B-. This was better than its other category scores. When determining a facility's nursing rating, we look at the number of hours nurses commit to residents and the levels of training of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second highest area ended up being its short-term care grade, where it received a grade of B-. In calculating our short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The final measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Christian Care Center of Memphis?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's third highest score is long-term care. As it turns out, with a D in this category, it still performed somewhat poorly. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means the nursing home did not perform well in our quality measures relating to resident care. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 88.95027 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
The last category we looked at was inspections. This nursing home did not receive positive government inspection reports in recent years. In fact, we had to give it an F in this category. For places with poor inspection grades, you should focus on any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 3 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Christian Care Center of Memphis Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 3.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term residents who sustained a fall which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 3.08% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 15.67% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients which were given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 29.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term residents which were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 9.05% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 89.05% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 16.44% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Some argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 24.2% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 1.27 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 24.2 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 73.13% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Memphis, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Memphis, Tennessee has 20 other nursing homes
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.03 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.93 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 5.98 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Saint Francis Bartlett Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away2986 Kate Bond Rd Memphis Tennessee 38133Proprietary(901) 820-7050
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 10.74 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- Methodist Healthcare - Olive Branch HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.86 miles away4250 Bethel Road Olive Branch Mississippi 38654Voluntary non-profit - Private(662) 932-9000
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 11.4 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Satellite Healthcare South Germantown, LLC0.34 miles away6548 Quince Rd Memphis Tennessee 38119Dialysis Stations: 25 (901) 259-3423
- Fmc Mt Moriah Dialysis0.83 miles away6490 Mt Moriah Suite 102 Memphis Tennessee 38115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (901) 547-6401
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee, Inc.1.62 miles away6055 Primacy Parkway Suite 125 Memphis Tennessee 38119Dialysis Stations: 13 (901) 681-4010
- Fmc East Memphis1.98 miles away6490 Mt. Moriah Ext. Suite 101 Memphis Tennessee 38115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (901) 367-1001
- Davita Memphis Southeast3.05 miles away1805 Moriah Woods Blvd Suite 101 Memphis Tennessee 38117CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (901) 685-3192
- Fmc Memphis Germantown3.4 miles away7640 Wolf River Circle Germantown Tennessee 38138Dialysis Stations: 24 (901) 757-4119
- Heckscher Dialysis, LLC3.68 miles away8000 Wolf River Blvd Suite 106 Germantown Tennessee 38138Dialysis Stations: 17 (901) 757-4809
- Bio-Medical Applictions of Tennessee Inc3.79 miles away4601 Quince Road Memphis Tennessee 38117Dialysis Stations: 19 (901) 767-0223