Christian Care Center of Memphis is in Memphis, Tennessee, which is among the largest cities in the country. With a bottom of the barrel overall grade of F, this facility didn't fare well in our assessment. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 13 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Christian Care Center of Memphis
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Memphis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Even though we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we gave it a grade of B- for short-term care. Our short-term care ratings are vital for individuals seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. This nursing home provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. This is usually a favorable sign. The final metric we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Remarkably, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for our nursing rating, which isn't a bad grade. Our nursing grade is primarily tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, although this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in some of our quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did well in this subcategory.
Does this page answer your questions about Christian Care Center of Memphis?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, this nursing home was awarded a grade of just D in this category. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is typically a bad sign for resident care and it may mean that the place is not as well-staffed. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 86.666664 percent of its residents. This is multiple points below what we were hoping for. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
The final category we looked at was inspections. This ended up being this nursing home's weakest link. We gave it a D in this area. Since this information is compiled by independent government inspectors, we weight it heavily in our overall grade. Inspection scores account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. You should be especially cautious when considering a facility with severe deficiencies on its inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 4 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they posed a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 3 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Christian Care Center of Memphis Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 8.88% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 3.29% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 3.08% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 15.67% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 29.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 9.14% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients exhibiting signs of depression. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 88.31% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 17.11% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 20.35% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Some argue that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 1.4 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 20.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Christian Care Center of Memphis, 74.44% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Memphis, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Memphis, Tennessee has 12 other nursing homes
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.03 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.93 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 5.98 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Saint Francis Bartlett Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away2986 Kate Bond Rd Memphis Tennessee 38133Proprietary(901) 820-7050
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 10.74 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- Methodist Healthcare - Olive Branch HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.86 miles away4250 Bethel Road Olive Branch Mississippi 38654Voluntary non-profit - Private(662) 932-9000
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 11.4 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Satellite Healthcare South Germantown, LLC0.34 miles away6548 Quince Rd Memphis Tennessee 38119Dialysis Stations: 25 (901) 259-3423
- Fmc Mt Moriah Dialysis0.83 miles away6490 Mt Moriah Suite 102 Memphis Tennessee 38115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (901) 547-6401
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee, Inc.1.62 miles away6055 Primacy Parkway Suite 125 Memphis Tennessee 38119Dialysis Stations: 13 (901) 681-4010
- Fmc East Memphis1.98 miles away6490 Mt. Moriah Ext. Suite 101 Memphis Tennessee 38115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (901) 367-1001
- Davita Memphis Southeast3.05 miles away1805 Moriah Woods Blvd Suite 101 Memphis Tennessee 38117CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (901) 685-3192
- Fmc Memphis Germantown3.4 miles away7640 Wolf River Circle Germantown Tennessee 38138Dialysis Stations: 24 (901) 757-4119
- Heckscher Dialysis, LLC3.68 miles away8000 Wolf River Blvd Suite 106 Germantown Tennessee 38138Dialysis Stations: 17 (901) 757-4809
- Bio-Medical Applictions of Tennessee Inc3.79 miles away4601 Quince Road Memphis Tennessee 38117Dialysis Stations: 19 (901) 767-0223