Chino Valley Health Care Cente is an average-sized nursing home located in Pomona, California. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of D. A grade of this caliber typically suggests a few red flags. Unfortunately, this grade is not too far off the city grade for Pomona, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still may be able to find a better option The only positive thing we can really say about this facility is that it didn't receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Chino Valley Health Care Cente
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Chino Valley Health Care Cente has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility well overall, we want to point out its decent grade of B- in the category of nursing. When computing a nursing home's nursing score, we look at the number of hours nurses commit to residents as well as the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This figure is significantly below the national average. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a good indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best area turned out to be its long-term care score, where it was awarded a B-. For prospective patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. This facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Chino Valley Health Care Cente?
This nursing home received slightly below average inspections in recent years. We awarded them a C in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. This place was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This tells you that this facility dodged the more ominous categories of deficiencies. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was short-term care, which turned out to be a weak link for this nursing home. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in short-term care. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This area is more often than not a meaningful measure of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This wasn't a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 2.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chino Valley Health Care Cente Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of long-term residents that have sustained a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 4.33% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chino Valley Health Care Cente, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Pomona, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Pomona, California has 9 other nursing homes
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.12 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.19 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.39 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.67 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Placentia Linda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.29 miles away1301 N Rose Drive Placentia California 92870Proprietary(714) 993-2000
- Davita-Pomona Valley Dialysis0.32 miles away2703 S Towne Avenue Pomona California 91766CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 590-4930
- Davita-Chino Dialysis2 miles away4445 Riverside Drive Chino California 91710CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (909) 464-0347
- Davita-Pomona Dialysis4.04 miles away2111 N. Garey Avenue Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 596-9997
- Fmc-Garey Dialysis Center Partnership4.27 miles away150 E. Arrow Highway Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (909) 593-5863
- Ontario Holt Dialysis Center, Inc.4.41 miles away1310 West Holt Avenue Ontario California 91762Dialysis Stations: 28 (909) 986-0230
- Davita-Montclair Dialysis Center4.7 miles away9142 Monte Vista Ave Montclair California 91763CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (909) 626-6505
- Pomona Dialysis Center, Inc.5.32 miles away255 E. Bonita Avenue, Building 1 Ste 200 Pomona California 91767Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 784-2949
- Ontario Dialysis, Inc.5.61 miles away1001 W. Sixth Street, Suite A Ontario California 91762CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 984-0320