Cheyenne Medical Lodge is a facility located in Mesquite, Texas, a city with a population of 140,703 people. This nursing home turns out to be a respectable facility, with an overall grade of C. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Mesquite, which is a B-. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's profile is its exemplary inspection rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Cheyenne Medical Lodge
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave them an A+ in this category. Our inspection grades are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information about this nursing home's deficiencies. We wish we had more information about this nursing home. Without having complete deficiency related data, it was difficult to assess this facility in this area.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best category is short-term care. We gave it a C in this category. This is basically a slightly below average score in this category. In crafting these short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to devise a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. In this place's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the average facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Cheyenne Medical Lodge?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second least favorable score is long-term care, where it earned a grade of just D in that category. This is a relatively poor grade. For prospective patients seeking a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 97.09677 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is better than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Turning to our last area, this facility really did not perform well. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in nursing, this is its worst area. In determining a facility's nursing rating, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses are seeing residents and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cheyenne Medical Lodge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay residents that suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that sustained UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 4.81% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 94.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Mesquite, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Mesquite, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center SunnyvaleAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away231 South Collins Road Sunnyvale Texas 75182Proprietary(972) 892-3000
- Dallas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.57 miles away1011 North Galloway Avenue Mesquite Texas 75149Proprietary(214) 320-7000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital RockwallAcute Care Hospitals 10.15 miles away3150 Horizon Road Rockwall Texas 75032Proprietary(469) 698-1000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center Lake PointeAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away6800 Scenic Dr Rowlett Texas 75088Proprietary(972) 412-2273
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.13 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.15 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center UptownAcute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away2727 East Lemmon Avenue Building I Dallas Texas 75204Proprietary(214) 443-3000
- Usrc Sunnyvale, LLC2.18 miles away220 S Collins Rd Sunnyvale Texas 75182Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 201-2767
- Davita Dialysis Care of Mesquite2.67 miles away2110 N Galloway Ave Ste 102 Mesquite Texas 75150Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 329-1036
- Metro East Dialysis Center2.8 miles away909 Gross Rd Suite 200 Mesquite Texas 75149CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (972) 288-1060
- Liberty Dialysis - Mesquite3.41 miles away3330 North Galloway Avenue Suite 160 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 989-4110
- Fresenius Medical Care Balch Springs, LLC3.82 miles away2429 Hickory Tree Rd Balch Springs Texas 75180Dialysis Stations: 21 (972) 329-8271
- Balch Springs Dialysis4.26 miles away12001 Elam Road Balch Springs Texas 75180CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 913-8767
- Regional Dialysis Center of Mesquite LLC4.87 miles away1650 Republic Parkway Suite 100 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (972) 613-4715
- Fmc North Buckner Dialysis Center6.56 miles away3650 N Buckner Blvd 108 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (214) 367-8880