Cheyenne Medical Lodge is a large nursing home in Mesquite, Texas. Sporting an overall score of D, this is a relatively poor facility. If you are not happy with this facility's subpar overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are seven other nursing homes in Mesquite. This facility's only redeeming feature was its inspection grade, which you can find more information on below.
Cheyenne Medical Lodge
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
750 Highway 352,
Mesquite TX 75149
82.73% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility highly overall, we want to point out its excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A+ in this category. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Unfortunately, it does not look like we have deficiency data for this facility. We would like to have more data for this nursing home. Without all of the information regarding deficiencies, it ended up being difficult to grade it in terms of this category.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this facility was awarded a grade of just D in that area. Sadly, this ended up being one of its better grades. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. Thankfully, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 97.05882 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. While it had 2.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, its risk adjusted metric wasn't bad since it had more complex patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Cheyenne Medical Lodge?
Short-term Care Quality
Tragically, this facility received an F for its short-term care score. In computing our short-term care grades, we assess the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This area is typically a solid measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. With its weak score in this category, we weren't surprised to find this place offered significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most facilities. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Moving on to the fourth category, this nursing home really did not perform well here either. With a very poor grade of F in nursing, this is really as bad as it gets. The nursing grade includes quite a few subcategories, however, the paramount one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided a meager 2.9 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is an alarmingly low total. On top of its subpar nursing hour totals, this place received poor scores in many of the quality-based metrics we considered in determining our nursing scores. We found that a higher percentage of this nursing home's residents suffered falls which led to major injury. We would argue that many falls could be avoided with better nursing care. This metric contributed to this facility receiving a terrible nursing grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cheyenne Medical Lodge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who were given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 4.7% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression could reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 95.06% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Mesquite, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Mesquite, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center SunnyvaleAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away231 South Collins Road Sunnyvale Texas 75182Proprietary(972) 892-3000
- Dallas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.57 miles away1011 North Galloway Avenue Mesquite Texas 75149Proprietary(214) 320-7000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital RockwallAcute Care Hospitals 10.15 miles away3150 Horizon Road Rockwall Texas 75032Proprietary(469) 698-1000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center Lake PointeAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away6800 Scenic Dr Rowlett Texas 75088Proprietary(972) 412-2273
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.13 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.15 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center UptownAcute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away2727 East Lemmon Avenue Building I Dallas Texas 75204Proprietary(214) 443-3000
- Usrc Sunnyvale, LLC2.18 miles away220 S Collins Rd Sunnyvale Texas 75182Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 201-2767
- Davita Dialysis Care of Mesquite2.67 miles away2110 N Galloway Ave Ste 102 Mesquite Texas 75150Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 329-1036
- Metro East Dialysis Center2.8 miles away909 Gross Rd Suite 200 Mesquite Texas 75149CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (972) 288-1060
- Liberty Dialysis - Mesquite3.41 miles away3330 North Galloway Avenue Suite 160 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 989-4110
- Fresenius Medical Care Balch Springs, LLC3.82 miles away2429 Hickory Tree Rd Balch Springs Texas 75180Dialysis Stations: 21 (972) 329-8271
- Balch Springs Dialysis4.26 miles away12001 Elam Road Balch Springs Texas 75180CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 913-8767
- Regional Dialysis Center of Mesquite LLC4.87 miles away1650 Republic Parkway Suite 100 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (972) 613-4715
- Fmc North Buckner Dialysis Center6.56 miles away3650 N Buckner Blvd 108 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (214) 367-8880