Cheyenne Medical Lodge is a facility located in Mesquite, Texas, a city with a population of 140,703 people. This nursing home received an extremely poor overall rating based on the data we assessed. Mesquite received a more impressive city grade of B, so there are far better options in the city worth looking at. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its strong inspection rating. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Cheyenne Medical Lodge
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Mesquite senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although this place's overall score was terrible, it actually fared pretty well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B for that area, which is one of our better scores. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite minor. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate information on deficiency's for this nursing home. Without having complete deficiency related data for this facility, it was a challenge to fully grade it in the inspections category.
Short-term Care Quality
Remarkably, we gave this nursing home a grade of C for its short-term care rating, which isn't a bad grade. With our short-term care score, we endeavor to craft a sound measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess a facility's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical facility. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the number of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 6.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Cheyenne Medical Lodge?
Long-term Care Quality
Tragically, this facility received an F for its long-term care score. For patients looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 97.56691 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
The final area we graded was nursing. We gave it a lowly F in this category, which is a very poor score. When determining a facility's nursing score, we assess the quantity of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of training of those nurses. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, this facility's nurse staffing levels were significantly below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This place fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these data points to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cheyenne Medical Lodge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that sustained UTI's. UTI's could be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 4.84% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 93.69% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 1.89 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cheyenne Medical Lodge, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center SunnyvaleAcute Care Hospitals 0.61 miles away231 South Collins Road Sunnyvale Texas 75182Proprietary(972) 892-3000
- Dallas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.57 miles away1011 North Galloway Avenue Mesquite Texas 75149Proprietary(214) 320-7000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital RockwallAcute Care Hospitals 10.15 miles away3150 Horizon Road Rockwall Texas 75032Proprietary(469) 698-1000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center Lake PointeAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away6800 Scenic Dr Rowlett Texas 75088Proprietary(972) 412-2273
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.13 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.15 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center UptownAcute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away2727 East Lemmon Avenue Building I Dallas Texas 75204Proprietary(214) 443-3000
- Usrc Sunnyvale, LLC2.18 miles away220 S Collins Rd Sunnyvale Texas 75182Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 201-2767
- Davita Dialysis Care of Mesquite2.67 miles away2110 N Galloway Ave Ste 102 Mesquite Texas 75150Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 329-1036
- Metro East Dialysis Center2.8 miles away909 Gross Rd Suite 200 Mesquite Texas 75149CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (972) 288-1060
- Liberty Dialysis - Mesquite3.41 miles away3330 North Galloway Avenue Suite 160 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 989-4110
- Fresenius Medical Care Balch Springs, LLC3.82 miles away2429 Hickory Tree Rd Balch Springs Texas 75180Dialysis Stations: 21 (972) 329-8271
- Balch Springs Dialysis4.26 miles away12001 Elam Road Balch Springs Texas 75180CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 913-8767
- Regional Dialysis Center of Mesquite LLC4.87 miles away1650 Republic Parkway Suite 100 Mesquite Texas 75150CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (972) 613-4715
- Fmc North Buckner Dialysis Center6.56 miles away3650 N Buckner Blvd 108 Dallas Texas 75228CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (214) 367-8880