Chetwynde Healthcare is located in West Newton, Massachusetts. Featuring an overall grade of B, this is a fine facility. In our view, this facility is a good fit for most people. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jan 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on West Newton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Inspection scores are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received an impressive long-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our better scores in that category with a score of B+. For patients seeking a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 72.258064 percent of its residents. This is somewhat below what we expected. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Chetwynde Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given an impressive short-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that category with a grade of B. Short-term care grades are generally employed to grade a facility's rehabilitation services In order to offer high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
The final area we assessed was nursing. In this area, we gave this nursing home an above average grade of B. Our nursing category analyzes several factors, most of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chetwynde Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 2.48% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 91.39% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.83 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.55 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.74 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 6.69 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Wellesley Dialysis1.86 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham3.22 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston3.79 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis5.36 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Davita Brookline Dialysis5.93 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Kidney Center6.32 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner6.53 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Brigham and Women's Hospital7.44 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130