Chetwynde Healthcare is located in West Newton, Massachusetts. Featuring an overall grade of B, this is a fine facility. In our view, this facility is a good fit for most people. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Inspection scores are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received an impressive long-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our better scores in that category with a score of B+. For patients seeking a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care grades are an important measure. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 80.952385 percent of its residents. This is somewhat below what we expected. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Chetwynde Healthcare?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. Nursing grades are mostly tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning a patient at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our final category, this facility received an extremely favorable short-term care rating. This facility did not end up having any weak areas. Our short-term care grades are important for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. This includes a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chetwynde Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 1.93% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 91.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chetwynde Healthcare, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.83 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.55 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.74 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.65 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 6.69 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Wellesley Dialysis1.86 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham3.22 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston3.79 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis5.36 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Davita Brookline Dialysis5.93 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Kidney Center6.32 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner6.53 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Brigham and Women's Hospital7.44 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130