Located in Saugus, Massachusetts, Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center is one of just a couple nursing homes there. We awarded this facility an A overall grade, ranking it in the top fifth of all facilities in the country. You simply can't do much better than this place. As you will find below, this place also performed well in our category grades. It is hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this facility performed well in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Inspection scores are based on many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
To add to its dominant assessments in other areas, we gave this facility a score of A for its long-term care grade. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 96.916306 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing score considers many factors. The most important factor is the number of hours nurses spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to our final area, this nursing home received a highly favorable short-term care score. In fact, we gave it a grade of B+ in this category, finishing off one of our finer profiles. Our short-term care grades are presumably more meaningful for individuals in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 5.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 1.95% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 91.63% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 3.57 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- North Shore Medical Center -Acute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away81 Highland Avenue Salem Massachusetts 01970Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 741-1215
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.57 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 7.81 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.47 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.32 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)1.37 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Davita Salem Northeast Dialysis4.97 miles away207 Highland Ave Suite 2 Salem Massachusetts 01970CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 744-2075
- Peabody Dialysis Center5.07 miles away19-a Centennial Drive Peabody Massachusetts 01960CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 532-7663
- Fmc Services of Stoneham6.27 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center6.45 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)6.69 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Dci Ball Square7.31 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Fresenius Medical Care Danvers7.45 miles away75 Newbury Street Danvers Massachusetts 01923Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 774-0350