Located in Saugus, Massachusetts, Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center is one of just a couple nursing homes there. We awarded this facility an A overall grade, ranking it in the top fifth of all facilities in the country. You simply can't do much better than this place. As you will find below, this place also performed well in our category grades. It is hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Saugus senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Saugus, Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place received a great overall grade is that it received a very strong nursing grade. This proved to be its best category. In this category, we gave this nursing home a grade of A. Nursing grades are primarily based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning patients even once per day.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this nursing home excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed as well in this area. Arguably the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was elite in the area of long-term care, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes received a better grade in this category. If you are looking for anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 93.89671 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be somewhat less than we expected but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, this nursing home also performed admirably in our short-term care category. We gave it a B+ in this area. This wrapped up a first-rate profile. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 5.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 1.41% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 1.11% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 6.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 22.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients who were given antianxiety medication. These medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 2.56% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 93.72% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 7.07% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 8.57% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 8.57% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 9.59% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chestnut Woods Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center, 87.84% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 3.57 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- North Shore Medical Center -Acute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away81 Highland Avenue Salem Massachusetts 01970Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 741-1215
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.57 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 7.81 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 8.24 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.47 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.32 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)1.37 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Davita Salem Northeast Dialysis4.97 miles away207 Highland Ave Suite 2 Salem Massachusetts 01970CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 744-2075
- Peabody Dialysis Center5.07 miles away19-a Centennial Drive Peabody Massachusetts 01960CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 532-7663
- Fmc Services of Stoneham6.27 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center6.45 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)6.69 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Dci Ball Square7.31 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Fresenius Medical Care Danvers7.45 miles away75 Newbury Street Danvers Massachusetts 01923Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 774-0350