Located in Passaic, New Jersey, Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center is one of a mere two facilities in the city. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is one of the top scores we offer. A grade of this caliber requires top-notch marks across the board. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top 25 percent of all facilities in the country. Keep reading to see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also quite good. It is hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this facility received a nearly flawless inspection report. Consequently, we gave it one of our highest grades in that area with an A. Inspection grades are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
To complement its elite accomplishments in other areas, we gave this facility a grade of A- for our short-term care rating. In our short-term care rating, we strive to create a fair barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the third category, this nursing home also received a grade of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this area. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 98.139534 percent of its residents, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Moving on to the last area, this facility received an excellent nursing score. In fact, we gave it a grade of B+ in this area, finishing off one of our more favorable profiles. Our nursing score includes a number of factors. The most heavily weighted factor is the quantity of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care residents which suffered falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percent of long-term care patients which experienced urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which were given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 5.81% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 92% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Chestnut Hill Convalescent Center, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.45 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.05 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- Hackensack University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.29 miles away30 Prospect Ave Hackensack New Jersey 07601Voluntary non-profit - Private(551) 996-2000
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 5.14 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Holy Name Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.73 miles away718 Teaneck Rd Teaneck New Jersey 07666Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 833-3000
- Bergen New Bridge Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.65 miles away230 East Ridgewood Ave Paramus New Jersey 07652Government - Local(201) 967-4000
- Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.5 miles away223 N Van Dien Avenue Ridgewood New Jersey 07450Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 447-8000
- Physicians Dialysis Passaic0.4 miles away10 Clifton Blvd Clifton New Jersey 07011CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (973) 594-9100
- Ara Clifton Dialysis Center0.77 miles away251 Clifton Avenue Unit A Clifton New Jersey 07011Dialysis Stations: 13 (973) 546-3750
- St. Joseph's Sjrmc Dialysis3.02 miles away703 Main Street r2n Paterson New Jersey 07503Dialysis Stations: 8 (973) 754-3570
- Ara Great Falls Dialysis, LLC3.18 miles away498 East 30th Street Paterson New Jersey 07504CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 569-0500
- St. Joseph's Paterson Dialysis3.2 miles away11 Getty Avenue 275 Hospital Plaza Paterson New Jersey 07503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 60 (973) 684-3490
- Davita East Paterson3.72 miles away680 Broadway Ste 103 Paterson New Jersey 07514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 357-8079
- Davita Lyndhurst Dialysis3.75 miles away554-a New York Avenue Lyndhurst New Jersey 07071Dialysis Stations: 19 (201) 933-4782
- Davita Hackensack3.87 miles away113 West Essex Street Maywood New Jersey 07607CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (201) 843-3875