Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation is one of only three facilities in Sterling Heights, Michigan. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is one of our higher grades. We flat out can not say enough favorable things about this facility. Keep reading to see this nursing home's category scores, which are also impressive. It is hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Sterling Heights senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Sterling Heights, Michigan Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Sterling Heights, Michigan Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Michigan Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Sterling Heights, Michigan Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to earning a great overall score, this facility excelled in our shot-term care category. In fact, we gave it an A for that category. In forming our short-term care scores, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to create a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. It doesn't look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the number of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
In addition, this nursing home also received a nearly flawless government inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that category with an A. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies an immediate threat to resident safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Our nursing score is based on several factors. The most important one is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. This facility provided 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed is long-term care, where this facility was given a B. While this wound up being its lowest category rating, this is still a favorable rating. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 96.89441 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 9.27% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 2.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 2.94% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 11.21% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 15.13% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 4.41% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents showing signs of depression. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 97.21% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 3.92% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 6.05% of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' health.
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 6.05% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 9.79% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Pomeroy Living Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 85.06% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Ascension Macomb Oakland Hosp-Warren CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away11800 East Twelve Mile Road Warren Michigan 48093Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 573-5000
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Henry Ford Macomb HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.64 miles away15855 Nineteen Mile Rd Clinton Township Michigan 48038Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 263-2300
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.69 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Mclaren MacombAcute Care Hospitals 9.87 miles away1000 Harrington St Mount Clemens Michigan 48043Voluntary non-profit - Private(586) 493-8000
- Ascension Providence Rochester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.87 miles away1101 W University Drive Rochester Michigan 48307Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 652-5000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.13 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 10.77 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Davita Troy Dialysis0.25 miles away2391 15 Mile Rd Sterling Heights Michigan 48310Dialysis Stations: 13 (586) 795-2920
- Greenfield Hs - Troy3.22 miles away2050 Livernois, Suite A Troy Michigan 48083Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 524-1270
- Fms Beaumonth Health, LLC4.34 miles away44300 Dequindre Rd Sterling Heights Michigan 48314Dialysis Stations: 22 (248) 964-0100
- Fmc Dialysis - Warren4.43 miles away30300 Hoover Rd Ste 100 Warren Michigan 48093CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (586) 558-8890
- Fmc Dialysis - Madison Heights4.52 miles away25780 Commerce Dr Madison Heights Michigan 48071Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 398-8090
- Davita - Starrwood Dialysis5.56 miles away3425 Starr Rd Ste B Royal Oak Michigan 48073Dialysis Stations: 17 (248) 549-0208
- Southeast Michigan Kidney Center5.57 miles away1695 W 12 Mile Rd, Suite 250 Berkley Michigan 48072Dialysis Stations: 2 (248) 414-5200
- Macomb Kidney Center of Davita5.73 miles away28295 Schoenherr Rd Suite A Warren Michigan 48088CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (586) 558-8160