Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Arlington, Virginia. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. Based on our ratings, this place likely wouldn't be a bad choice. The best part of this place's report card is is its inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A-. Few facilities performed better in this area. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to patient health or safety. A couple relatively minor dings are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also fared well in the area of short-term care. For this reason, we awarded it a score of A- for that category, which happens to be one of our highest grades. Our short-term care ratings are probably most important for residents needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually mandates more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of C. Our nursing score looks at the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This facility provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a somewhat concerning figure which is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it scored well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our fourth area, we awarded this nursing home a D in the area of long-term care. This is the facility's least impressive category grade. Of course, this score pulled down the facility's overall profile a bit. For patients in need of a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. After we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 96.04167 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents that developed pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.59% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 20.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.59% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 91.36% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.53% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 23.38% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who retained mobility levels. Many believe that mobility is critical to patients well-being.
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.23 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 23.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.33 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cherrydale Health and Rehabilitation Center, 75.1% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Arlington, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Arlington, Virginia has 3 other nursing homes
- Virginia Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.33 miles away1701 North George Mason Drive Arlington Virginia 22205Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 558-5000
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.04 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- George Washington Univ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3 miles away900 23rd St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20037Proprietary(202) 716-4605
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.73 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Inova Alexandria HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.02 miles away4320 Seminary Rd Alexandria Virginia 22304Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 504-3167
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 5.37 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.53 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Davita - Arlington2.11 miles away4805 First St North Arlington Virginia 22203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (703) 527-0652
- Davita Georgetown Home Training2.48 miles away2233 Wisconsin Ave Suite 214 Washington District of Columbia 20007Dialysis Stations: 12 (202) 337-1431
- Davita - K Street Dialysis3.14 miles away2131 K Street Nw Ste 300 Washington District of Columbia 20037CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (202) 223-8453
- Somatus Dialysis of Fall Church, LLC3.4 miles away500 North Washington Drive Suite 100 Falls Church Virginia 22046Dialysis Stations: 8 (703) 382-8361
- Bma - Dupont Circle3.53 miles away11 Dupont Cir Nw Ste ll100 Washington District of Columbia 20036Dialysis Stations: 30 (202) 483-0176
- Renal Carepartners - Arlington/Alexandria3.64 miles away2445 Army Navy Dr Anderson Bldg 2nd Floor Arlington Virginia 22206CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (703) 892-0250
- Davita Pentagon City Dialysis3.66 miles away1785 South Hayes St Arlington Virginia 22202Dialysis Stations: 8 (703) 920-0980
- Advanced Dialysis Center - Potomac3.68 miles away1785 S Hayes St Arlington Virginia 22202Dialysis Stations: 1 (703) 521-1056