Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is one of a mere two nursing homes located in Laurel, Maryland. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a good score. This facility has some things going for it. One of the best aspects of this facility's profile is its remarkable inspection reports, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
9001 Cherry Lane,
Laurel MD 20708
95.03% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its impeccable inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our higher grades in that category, with an A. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall score, which was decent but not in the elite range. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a strong grade in long-term care. This nursing home earned a B+ in this area, which happens to be one of our better scores. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. The nursing grade includes a handful of datapoints, most of which are associated with nursing hours. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This figure is significantly below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It scored well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was short-term care, which is this facility's worst area. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this category, which is certainly a major concern. Our short-term care ratings are vital for residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Based on its score in this area, we were not surprised to learn that this place was well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the figures we looked at. Honestly, this was about what we expected here. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that have had a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.18% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 92.14% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels.
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.69 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.38 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.14 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.03 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 11.52 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.9 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Umd Baltimore Washington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.74 miles away301 Hospital Drive Glen Burnie Maryland 21061Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 595-1967
- Davita Laurel Lakes Dialysis0.61 miles away14500 Laurel Place Laurel Maryland 20707Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 776-1769
- Kidney Care of Laurel0.65 miles away14631 Laurel Bowie Rd Ste 100 Laurel Maryland 20707CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 725-3559
- Calverton Dialysis4.73 miles away4780 Corridor Place Ste C Beltsville Maryland 20705CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 595-0231
- Rai - Baltimore-Beltsville5.15 miles away10701 Baltimore Ave Beltsville Maryland 20705Dialysis Stations: 20 (301) 595-0263
- Greenbelt Home Training6.63 miles away10210 Greenbelt Road Ste 100 Lanham Maryland 20706Dialysis Stations: 4 (301) 794-0142
- Fmc - Silver Spring7.11 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484
- Bedell Dialysis, LLC7.11 miles away13875 Outlet Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 890-1504
- Davita - Cedar Lane7.96 miles away6334 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Dialysis Stations: 13 (410) 531-5390