Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is one of a mere two nursing homes located in Laurel, Maryland. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a good score. This facility has some things going for it. You should also take a look at this facility's category grades below. We discuss long-term care in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Laurel senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home excelled in our long-term care category. In fact, we awarded it an A- for that area. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are well cared for. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a great way to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for the senior population. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Inspections is another category where this nursing home excelled. In fact, we awarded this nursing home an B+ for our inspections category. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of short-term care, this facility was awarded just a D in this area. In forming our short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to create a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Considering its score in this area, we weren't surprised to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the measures we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics sunk this facility's short-term care score.
The next area we rated is nursing, which is a weak link for this facility. We gave this nursing home a D in nursing. Our nursing category assesses several factors, many of which are associated with nursing hours. With a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, this facility's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below the national average. Finally, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home was above average in two of the statistics we focus on, with good marks for avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. These data points are generally good measures of the quality of nursing care available.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 6.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.32% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients that sustained falls leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.65% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 5.97% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 86.9% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 98.65% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 25.68% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 29.58% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 29.58% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8% of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cherry Lane Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 75.76% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.69 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.38 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.14 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.03 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 11.52 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.9 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Umd Baltimore Washington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.74 miles away301 Hospital Drive Glen Burnie Maryland 21061Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 595-1967
- Davita Laurel Lakes Dialysis0.61 miles away14500 Laurel Place Laurel Maryland 20707Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 776-1769
- Kidney Care of Laurel0.65 miles away14631 Laurel Bowie Rd Ste 100 Laurel Maryland 20707CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 725-3559
- Calverton Dialysis4.73 miles away4780 Corridor Place Ste C Beltsville Maryland 20705CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 595-0231
- Rai - Baltimore-Beltsville5.15 miles away10701 Baltimore Ave Beltsville Maryland 20705Dialysis Stations: 20 (301) 595-0263
- Greenbelt Home Training6.63 miles away10210 Greenbelt Road Ste 100 Lanham Maryland 20706Dialysis Stations: 4 (301) 794-0142
- Fmc - Silver Spring7.11 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484
- Bedell Dialysis, LLC7.11 miles away13875 Outlet Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 890-1504
- Davita - Cedar Lane7.96 miles away6334 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Dialysis Stations: 13 (410) 531-5390