Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center is in Birmingham, Alabama. This city is among the most populated cities in the nation with has a population of 493,806 people. Featuring an overall grade of D, this is a subpar facility. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Birmingham. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. If you aren't deterred by this facility's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall score was not a highlight, it actually excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A+ for that category, which is one of our best scores. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid nursing homes with a list of deficiencies flagged. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second best category was its long-term care grade, where it received a B-. Long-term care grades are based in part on the facility's volume of care. This means a broad range of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. Once we assessed the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 75 percent of its residents against pneumonia. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this facility's poor nursing grade where it received an F. When computing our nursing grades, we assess both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This facility provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we scored was short-term care. This nursing home was given a rock bottom grade of F in that category. Our short-term care grades are probably more meaningful for individuals requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. With its score in this area, we weren't stunned to discover that this place is well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the data we looked at. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 9.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents which had a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic may be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 19.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 23.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.27% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 92.58% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 12.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 15.91% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels.
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.62 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 15.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 11.46 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 73.73% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 15 other nursing homes
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 5.35 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 5.47 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- St Vincent's EastAcute Care Hospitals 12.04 miles away50 Medical Park East Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 838-3122
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.11 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Fmc Forestdale1.18 miles away1004 Forestdale Blvd Birmingham Alabama 35214Dialysis Stations: 14 (205) 798-8321
- Birmingham North Dialysis2.43 miles away1917 32nd Avenue North Birmingham Alabama 35207CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 297-9052
- Crown Dialysis3.07 miles away3007 27th Street North Birmingham Alabama 35207Dialysis Stations: 14 (205) 297-0143
- Steel City Dialysis3.67 miles away1809 Avenue H Birmingham Alabama 35218Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 785-2972
- Ensley Dialysis4.19 miles away2630 Avenue E Birmingham Alabama 35218CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 786-1371
- Fmc West4.51 miles away633 Lomb Avenue Birmingham Alabama 35211Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 781-2366
- Rcg Princeton4.54 miles away708 Cotton Ave Sw Birmingham Alabama 35211CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (205) 785-3500
- Dva Renal Healthcare Inc5.19 miles away300-B 22nd Street South Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 250-6757