Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Birmingham, Alabama. We gave this facility an overall grade of D. A grade of this caliber generally indicates some concerning datapoints. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Birmingham. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its strong inspection reports. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
1250 Jeff Germany Parkway,
Birmingham AL 35214
83.84% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While we were fairly low on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. This score is significantly more impressive than the nursing home's overall grade. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite minor. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best category was its long-term care score, where it received a B-. For patients seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were disappointed to learn that this nursing home vaccinated just 80.40346 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Lastly, we looked at the nursing home's number of hospitalizations. We found that this place had 2.53 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. While this figure is somewhat concerning, this number may be skewed for some facilities due to the preexisting medical conditions of patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We awarded this facility a grade of just D for our short-term care grade. This is not one of our better scores. In our short-term care category, we attempt to create a valuable gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at a nursing home's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Considering its grade in this category, we weren't stunned to learn that this place was well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the measures we looked at. Honestly, this was what we expected here. The final metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. It performed better in this area, with 54.4 percent of its residents returning home.
Turning to our last area, this nursing home did not perform well in this area either. With a poor grade of F in nursing, this is really as bad as it gets. Our nursing score weighs a variety of subcategories. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This place provided only 3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is well below average. To go along with its low totals in the area of nursing hours per resident, this nursing home also did not fare as well in the quality-based measures we looked at in computing our nursing grades. We looked at the percentage of patients sustaining major falls and pressure ulcers. This place had more pressure ulcers and falls than the average nursing home. This may be a bad sign when you consider that many bed sores and falls are believed to be preventable with better nursing care. These statistics hurt this facility's nursing grade quite a bit.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 9.21% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.27% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 19.34% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 23.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.38% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 91.71% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 13.51% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 18.39% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels. Some believe that the ability to move around is important for patients physical and mental health.
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 18.39 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 11.47 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 72.41% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 15 other nursing homes
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 5.35 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 5.47 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- St Vincent's EastAcute Care Hospitals 12.04 miles away50 Medical Park East Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 838-3122
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.11 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Fmc Forestdale1.18 miles away1004 Forestdale Blvd Birmingham Alabama 35214Dialysis Stations: 14 (205) 798-8321
- Birmingham North Dialysis2.43 miles away1917 32nd Avenue North Birmingham Alabama 35207CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 297-9052
- Crown Dialysis3.07 miles away3007 27th Street North Birmingham Alabama 35207Dialysis Stations: 14 (205) 297-0143
- Steel City Dialysis3.67 miles away1809 Avenue H Birmingham Alabama 35218Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 785-2972
- Ensley Dialysis4.19 miles away2630 Avenue E Birmingham Alabama 35218CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 786-1371
- Fmc West4.51 miles away633 Lomb Avenue Birmingham Alabama 35211Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 781-2366
- Rcg Princeton4.54 miles away708 Cotton Ave Sw Birmingham Alabama 35211CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (205) 785-3500
- Dva Renal Healthcare Inc5.19 miles away300-B 22nd Street South Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 250-6757