Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center is in Birmingham, Alabama. This city is among the most populated cities in the nation with has a population of 493,806 people. This is a strong nursing home with a grade of B+ overall. We were pleased to learn that many of the other facilities in Birmingham received similar scores. Based on all of the relevant data, you could do much worse than this place. We were also pleased to find that this facility did not have any weak links in any of the four major categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
1250 Jeff Germany Parkway,
Birmingham AL 35214
86.32% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this place also received top notch inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our higher scores in this category, with an A. Inspection ratings are based on items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our nursing grade. Our nursing score is largely based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed was long-term care. This nursing home was given a favorable long-term care score, with a B+ in the category. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 78.65854 percent of its residents. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.05 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we scored is short-term care, where this facility was awarded a grade of C. Although this is its least impressive category score, this is still not a major area of concern. Short-term care grades are typically used to measure a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have highly graded rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. It doesn't look like this nursing home submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 9.43% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who have sustained falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 3.36% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Closer supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 19.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 23.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression. High levels of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 91.17% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 13.58% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 14.98% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 1.81 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 14.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 10.28 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cherry Hill Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center, 76.71% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 8 other nursing homes
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.41 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 5.35 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 5.47 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.51 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- St Vincent's EastAcute Care Hospitals 12.04 miles away50 Medical Park East Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 838-3122
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.11 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Fmc Forestdale1.18 miles away1004 Forestdale Blvd Birmingham Alabama 35214Dialysis Stations: 14 (205) 798-8321
- Birmingham North Dialysis2.43 miles away1917 32nd Avenue North Birmingham Alabama 35207CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 297-9052
- Crown Dialysis3.07 miles away3007 27th Street North Birmingham Alabama 35207Dialysis Stations: 14 (205) 297-0143
- Steel City Dialysis3.67 miles away1809 Avenue H Birmingham Alabama 35218Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 785-2972
- Ensley Dialysis4.19 miles away2630 Avenue E Birmingham Alabama 35218CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 786-1371
- Fmc West4.51 miles away633 Lomb Avenue Birmingham Alabama 35211Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 781-2366
- Rcg Princeton4.54 miles away708 Cotton Ave Sw Birmingham Alabama 35211CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (205) 785-3500
- Dva Renal Healthcare Inc5.19 miles away300-B 22nd Street South Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 250-6757