Cherry Creek Nursing Center is in Aurora, Colorado. The city offers several nursing home options. We gave it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack rating. Based on our analysis, this nursing home has some redeeming qualities. The best part of this facility's report card was its exemplary nursing rating. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Cherry Creek Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a great overall grade, this facility really excelled in the category of nursing, where it received an A. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. The nursing grade analyzes a handful of datapoints, however, the main consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's long-term care score turns out to be one of its better grades. The nursing home was awarded a grade of B- in this category. Our long-term care grade assesses a nursing home's personal care rather than the highly skilled nursing or healthcare services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. We were a bit concerned this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to just 76.25202 percent of its residents. Nevertheless, this facility excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Cherry Creek Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's third best area is its short-term care grade, where it was given a C. Our short-term care ratings are vital for prospective residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. We were surprised to find that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The final measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that just 3.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home. This figure was below average.
In our last category of inspections, this facility received an F in this area. This score was very detrimental to this facility's overall score. For nursing homes with bad inspection scores, you should really focus on any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This particular nursing home had a deficiency by CMS. We were relieved to find that it wasn't in a category that suggests that it posed a risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, we want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was assessed significant government fines in recent years of over $100,000. This often suggests that a poor performance spanned multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cherry Creek Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 5.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 2.14% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 17.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 12.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 3.81% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 84.99% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 15.45% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 19.26% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 1.08 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 19.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 12.03 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cherry Creek Nursing Center, 75.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Aurora, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Aurora, Colorado has 10 other nursing homes
- Medical Center of Aurora, TheAcute Care Hospitals 2.6 miles away1501 S Potomac St Aurora Colorado 80012Proprietary(303) 873-5511
- Children's Hospital ColoradoChildrens 6.18 miles away13123 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 777-1234
- University of Colorado Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away12605 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Government - Hospital District or Authority(720) 848-0000
- Parker Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away9395 Crown Crest Blvd Parker Colorado 80138Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 269-4000
- Rose Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.21 miles away4567 E 9th Ave Denver Colorado 80220Proprietary(303) 320-2121
- Centura Health-Porter Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.39 miles away2525 S Downing St Denver Colorado 80210Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 778-1955
- Swedish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.73 miles away501 E Hampden Ave Englewood Colorado 80113Proprietary(303) 788-5000
- National Jewish HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.98 miles away1400 Jackson St Denver Colorado 80206Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 388-4461
- Aurora Dialysis (Dva)2.74 miles away1411 S Potomac St Ste 100 Aurora Colorado 80012CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (303) 368-1911
- South Denver Dialysis (Fmc)2.75 miles away3410 S Galena St Suite 100 Denver Colorado 80231Dialysis Stations: 13 (303) 671-2419
- East Aurora Dialysis (Dva)3.79 miles away482 S Chambers Rd Aurora Colorado 80017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (303) 696-1137
- Sable Dialysis (Dva)5 miles away509 N Sable Blvd Aurora Colorado 80011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (303) 366-9458
- Northeast Denver Dialysis (Fkc)5.21 miles away590 Laredo St Aurora Colorado 80017Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 344-8704
- Lonetree Dialysis (Dva)5.24 miles away9777 Pyramid Ct Ste 140 Englewood Colorado 80112Dialysis Stations: 12 (303) 662-0466
- Aurora Dialysis (Fmc)5.5 miles away962 Potomac Cir Aurora Colorado 80011Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 340-1398
- The Childrens Hospital Kidney Ctr.6.25 miles away13123 E 16th Ave #328 Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 9 (720) 777-6263