Cherry Brook Health Care Center is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Collinsville, Connecticut. Featuring an overall score of B, this looks like a fine nursing home. Based on our assessment, this nursing home is a good fit for most people. Fortunately, this place didn't have any bad scores in any of the four major categories. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Cherry Brook Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Lymphedema Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Best Nursing Home in Connecticut Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Connecticut Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a great overall rating, this facility performed even better in the area of inspections which is associated with the nursing home's recent government inspection reports. In fact, we gave it an A- for this category, which is one of our highest scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing grade is primarily tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving patients at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Cherry Brook Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the third area, this facility also received a score of B+ for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this area. In the category of short-term care, we strive to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the last area, this facility received a C in long-term care, which is a decent score. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. After assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. Unfortunately, this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 90.6015 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cherry Brook Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 3.55% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term patients who suffered a fall which caused major injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 1.93% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 14.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 17.2% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 6.52% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 88.27% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 17.82% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 22.18% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 22.18 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 9.56 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cherry Brook Health Care Center, 75.26% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- John Dempsey HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.14 miles away263 Farmington Ave Farmington Connecticut 06032Government - Local(860) 679-1145
- Charlotte Hungerford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.3 miles away540 Litchfield St Torrington Connecticut 06790Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 496-6666
- St Francis Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.8 miles away114 Woodland Street Hartford Connecticut 06105Voluntary non-profit - Church(860) 714-4000
- Connecticut Childrens Medical CenterChildrens 13.13 miles away282 Washington Street Hartford Connecticut 06106Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 545-9000
- Hartford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.2 miles away80 Seymour Street Hartford Connecticut 06102Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 545-5000
- Hospital of Central Connecticut, TheAcute Care Hospitals 13.52 miles away100 Grand Street New Britain Connecticut 06050Voluntary non-profit - Other(860) 224-5011
- Uconn Dialysis Center9.08 miles away270 Farmington Ave ste160 Farmington Connecticut 06032Dialysis Stations: 19 (860) 678-1459
- Farmington Dialysis9.45 miles away11 South Rd, Suite 110 Farmington Connecticut 06032Dialysis Stations: 13 (860) 678-0587
- Fmc of Western Hartford9.59 miles away725 Park Avenue, Bloomfield Connecticut 06002Dialysis Stations: 19 (860) 726-0099
- Davita Bloomfield Dialysis9.85 miles away29 Griffin Road South Bloomfield Connecticut 06002Dialysis Stations: 16 (860) 243-5389
- Davita Torrington Dialysis10.55 miles awayC/O Joseph Marcantonio Kidney Center 780 Litchfield Street, Suite 100 Torrington Connecticut 06790Dialysis Stations: 19 (860) 496-0661
- Fmc Dialysis Services Forestville11.59 miles away135 Middle Street Bristol Connecticut 06010CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (860) 584-2155
- Davita Hartford Dialysis11.64 miles away675 Tower Avenue Hartford Connecticut 06112CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (860) 242-0735
- Davita Hartford Downtown Dialysis12.57 miles away80 Seymour Street Hartford Connecticut 06115Dialysis Stations: 42 (860) 244-2108