Charlwell House is one of four facilities located in Norwood, Massachusetts. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road grade. Based on the data we reviewed, there are certainly much worse places out there. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive nursing rating, which is addressed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but it really excelled in nursing care, with an impressive grade of A- in this category. In calculating our nursing scores, we weigh both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a strong long-term care score. In fact, we gave them a B+ in that area, which is one of our more favorable scores. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 95.90909 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a life or death illness for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Charlwell House?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at is short-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a solid grade of B-. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. We found that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Moving on the last category of inspections, this nursing home did not fare well. It received an F in this category. This ended up really pulling this nursing home's overall score down as we heavily weight this category. With places that received this poor of an inspection score, we recommend scrutinizing the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This facility was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, we want to point out that this facility was assessed large government fines of more than $100,000. This often suggests that a bad performance has been an issue for more than one year.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Charlwell House Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Charlwell House, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Charlwell House, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who have experienced falls which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Charlwell House, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Charlwell House, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Charlwell House, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Charlwell House, 1.93% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Charlwell House, 91.44% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Charlwell House, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Charlwell House, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Charlwell House, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Charlwell House, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Charlwell House, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Norwood, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Norwood, Massachusetts has 3 other nursing homes
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 1.85 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.66 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.46 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.56 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.14 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)2.72 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC6.91 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Us Renal Care Foxborough Dialysis7.74 miles away10 Lincoln Rd Suite 101 Foxboro Massachusetts 02035Dialysis Stations: 9 (774) 215-5696
- Wellesley Dialysis9.44 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center9.96 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC10.02 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)10.18 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner10.31 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470