Charlwell House is one of four facilities located in Norwood, Massachusetts. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road grade. Based on the data we reviewed, there are certainly much worse places out there. One of the highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive long-term care rating, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Norwood senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home a grade of A+ for our long-term care score. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the datapoints we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 96.21993 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the nursing home population. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility an A-. The nursing score consists of a handful of factors, but the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Charlwell House?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at is short-term care, where this facility was given a B- in this category. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. The critical question is whether this also impacted quality of care. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 4.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Turning the final category of inspections, this facility did not fare well. It received an F in this category. This pulled this nursing home's overall score down as we heavily weight this category. We would advise paying special attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection score. We would pay close attention to the level of severity of the deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we found is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they caused a risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, we want to point out that this place received large government fines totaling more than $100,000. This generally signifies that a facility's poor performance spanned multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Charlwell House Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Charlwell House, 6.74% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Charlwell House, 3.78% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Charlwell House, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Charlwell House, 23.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Charlwell House, 12.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Charlwell House, 6.04% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Charlwell House, 92.3% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Charlwell House, 25.69% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Charlwell House, 23.58% of Residents
This is the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Charlwell House, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Charlwell House, 23.58% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Charlwell House, 13.53% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Charlwell House, 67.8% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Norwood, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Norwood, Massachusetts has 3 other nursing homes
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 1.85 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.66 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.46 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.56 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.14 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)2.72 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC6.91 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Us Renal Care Foxborough Dialysis7.74 miles away10 Lincoln Rd Suite 101 Foxboro Massachusetts 02035Dialysis Stations: 9 (774) 215-5696
- Wellesley Dialysis9.44 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center9.96 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC10.02 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)10.18 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner10.31 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470